Break-in is Real

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
MP3 sound clips please!

I recently recorded the sound from my cornu spiral build with driver facing out or flipped the cabinet around with driver facing the floor ( resting on pillow ) to show the difference between direct + horn output vs horn output only. I used a digital recorder with a built-in mic and captured to mp3. I trimmed the clips to a length which would be small enough to upload as an attachment (zip it first as mp3 is not an allowed format on DIYaudio). Anyhow, this provided an A/B test as the clips were recorded with same song, same amp setting, same position, etc. What surprised me was how good the recording sounded when played back, and how easy it was to now share the "sound" of our creations in addition to just the photos. I am not sure if others have done something similar. It is not hard. For those of you whom have equipment to do measurements of your speakers, I am sure that those microphones would be sufficient for producing sound that can be uploaded to your posts. Granted, measurement mics are not stereo, but a mono track, like a picture, "is worth a thousand words." Even if one had no digital recorder or microphone handy, I know that a good set of dynamic headphones with high sensitivity when plugged into the mic input of your pc's sound card works as a pretty decent stereo microphone. So Cogitech, if you don't mind, please do an A/B recording of a broken-in driver and newer driver.
Thanks.
Xrk971

Btw, if you want to see, I mean hear, what my A/B sound clips for comparo sound like, it is on post 720 on this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-72.html

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I recently recorded the sound from my cornu spiral build with driver facing out or flipped the cabinet around with driver facing the floor ( resting on pillow ) to show the difference between direct + horn output vs horn output only. I used a digital recorder with a built-in mic and captured to mp3. I trimmed the clips to a length which would be small enough to upload as an attachment (zip it first as mp3 is not an allowed format on DIYaudio). Anyhow, this provided an A/B test as the clips were recorded with same song, same amp setting, same position, etc. What surprised me was how good the recording sounded when played back, and how easy it was to now share the "sound" of our creations in addition to just the photos. I am not sure if others have done something similar. It is not hard. For those of you whom have equipment to do measurements of your speakers, I am sure that those microphones would be sufficient for producing sound that can be uploaded to your posts. Granted, measurement mics are not stereo, but a mono track, like a picture, "is worth a thousand words." Even if one had no digital recorder or microphone handy, I know that a good set of dynamic headphones with high sensitivity when plugged into the mic input of your pc's sound card works as a pretty decent stereo microphone. So Cogitech, if you don't mind, please do an A/B recording of a broken-in driver and newer driver.
Thanks.
Xrk971

Btw, if you want to see, I mean hear, what my A/B sound clips for comparo sound like, it is on post 720 on this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-72.html

Yes, I saw that post.

The thing is, there is little point in doing any testing or recording because a) I have already put a good 30 hours on the new drivers at just short of "redline" volume and they are already starting to change their character. I believe that this "almost abuse" is what loosens the drivers up and lets them dig deeper (in this case, "as deep as they should go").

If I was going to do tests or recording, I should have done it immediately before and after installing the new drivers. I didn't. Hence, the first two sentences of my first post.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, I saw that post.

The thing is, there is little point in doing any testing or recording because a) I have already put a good 30 hours on the new drivers at just short of "redline" volume and they are already starting to change their character. I believe that this "almost abuse" is what loosens the drivers up and lets them dig deeper (in this case, "as deep as they should go").

If I was going to do tests or recording, I should have done it immediately before and after installing the new drivers. I didn't. Hence, the first two sentences of my first post.

Didn't you say that you bought 4 more? That would leave a set that had not been broken in yet, other than the 200 hrs Planet10 puts them through as part of souping them up.

You, like so many others, have completely disregarded the first sentences of my first post. They are there for a reason.

Well, you present a controversial topic, then suggest people not differ with it.
Why bother starting the thread?
That's like going to a bible study and saying this book is false I only believe in science.
Do you expect them not to convince you?
Wouldn't they wonder why you were there in the first place if you are not even willing to discuss it?
I guess the nay-sayers should just let this thread die and try to accept his opinion.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well, you present a controversial topic, then suggest people not differ with it.
Why bother starting the thread?
That's like going to a bible study and saying this book is false I only believe in science.
Do you expect them not to convince you?
Wouldn't they wonder why you were there in the first place if you are not even willing to discuss it?
I guess the nay-sayers should just let this thread die and try to accept his opinion.

I specifically said it was purely anecdotal.

Only a fool would try to actually convince the naysayers with empirical tests, sound samples, etc. The argument would never end anyway. I have seen enough threads involving this very argument to know that the naysayers will never sway from their opinions.

So this is just more anecdotal "evidence" to add to all the rest. Those who can hear the break-in differences can hear it. End of... No controversy.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I consider this the most interesting statement in the entire thread.
FWIW, I've done no proper testing, but in my experience it seems as though some drivers did improve after use while others just did what they did from day one.

This is a critical observation, IMO. The EL70, from all accounts I have seen/read, is particularly "improvable" by break-in. Perhaps more so than most other drivers?

Anyone who joins the argument only having experienced drivers which do not benefit much, if at all, from break-in - well, would any test convince them otherwise?

Has Bob Brines ever built a pair of speakers with EL70 or EL70eN? Not trying to be combative, but if he hasn't then how much can he really say about the effect of break-in on these drivers, despite his extensive experience with other drivers?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very silly argument. "I saw two UFO's in my back yard, therefore, they exist".
Got photos? Video? Other witnesses? Burn marks?

Maybe I believe in UFOs, but you aren't doing me or yourself any favors with no evidence. Why no evidence? I told you in the second post of this thread that you would run into a lot of trouble without no supporting evidence. It's a nice story, that's all.

Most of us can't come over and hear your drivers. With no other evidence than "I say so" I think we have a right to remain skeptical.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Very silly argument. "I saw two UFO's in my back yard, therefore, they exist".
Got photos? Video? Other witnesses? Burn marks?

Maybe I believe in UFOs, but you aren't doing me or yourself any favors with no evidence. Why no evidence? I told you in the second post of this thread that you would run into a lot of trouble without no supporting evidence. It's a nice story, that's all.

Most of us can't come over and hear your drivers. With no other evidence than "I say so" I think we have a right to remain skeptical.

By all means. Remain skeptical. I am just adding my story to all the others out there. I fully expected the naysayers to chime in. They always do. Please see my first two sentences...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The CSS WR125's I have require from 30 minutes to an hour of music to develop decent bass but they need that every time you run them. To me that's driver warm up not break in.

I won't argue with that. However, my well-worked EL70s did not require any warm-up at all. They just sounded fantastic. It took them weeks to get that way, but they maintained it.

I don't expect much of a difference from the EL70eN, except perhaps a better controlled top end, which I can already hear.

However, my well-worked EL70s did not require any warm-up at all.
And I won't argue that either. Mine need far less warm up than the CSS'. In fact I know of no other driver requiring it so badly.
They just sounded fantastic. It took them weeks to get that way, but they maintained it.
You're not the only one to experience what you are but I still wonder how much is the driver and how much is your acclimation. The test I like to use, and the reason I don't believe in break in like I used to, is start with two different sets of speakers. These should be fairly equal in quality. Listen to one set for about 1/2 hour. Switch them over. You'll notice the new set usually don't sound as good as the first ones until a few songs later. Then 30 minutes go by and you switch back. Now the original 'good' speakers sound worse than the second set. See where I'm going with this? Your ears adapt. There's no denying that effect and I'm wondering if we have a similar thing going on here.

I am not saying there is no driver break in. These are mechanical devices, there has to be a change that occurs after cycling. To deny that would be foolish, I'm just suggesting that your ears are also making them sound better - maybe even more than 'real' changes in the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.