Break-in is Real - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 09:37 AM   #21
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Default MP3 sound clips please!

I recently recorded the sound from my cornu spiral build with driver facing out or flipped the cabinet around with driver facing the floor ( resting on pillow ) to show the difference between direct + horn output vs horn output only. I used a digital recorder with a built-in mic and captured to mp3. I trimmed the clips to a length which would be small enough to upload as an attachment (zip it first as mp3 is not an allowed format on DIYaudio). Anyhow, this provided an A/B test as the clips were recorded with same song, same amp setting, same position, etc. What surprised me was how good the recording sounded when played back, and how easy it was to now share the "sound" of our creations in addition to just the photos. I am not sure if others have done something similar. It is not hard. For those of you whom have equipment to do measurements of your speakers, I am sure that those microphones would be sufficient for producing sound that can be uploaded to your posts. Granted, measurement mics are not stereo, but a mono track, like a picture, "is worth a thousand words." Even if one had no digital recorder or microphone handy, I know that a good set of dynamic headphones with high sensitivity when plugged into the mic input of your pc's sound card works as a pretty decent stereo microphone. So Cogitech, if you don't mind, please do an A/B recording of a broken-in driver and newer driver.
Thanks.
Xrk971

Btw, if you want to see, I mean hear, what my A/B sound clips for comparo sound like, it is on post 720 on this thread:
Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Last edited by xrk971; 15th December 2012 at 09:41 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 04:02 PM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
What kind of replies did you expect?
I guess you dont need to contribute to this topic anymore.
Thanx for reporting.
You, like so many others, have completely disregarded the first sentences of my first post. They are there for a reason.

Last edited by cogitech; 15th December 2012 at 04:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 04:10 PM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I recently recorded the sound from my cornu spiral build with driver facing out or flipped the cabinet around with driver facing the floor ( resting on pillow ) to show the difference between direct + horn output vs horn output only. I used a digital recorder with a built-in mic and captured to mp3. I trimmed the clips to a length which would be small enough to upload as an attachment (zip it first as mp3 is not an allowed format on DIYaudio). Anyhow, this provided an A/B test as the clips were recorded with same song, same amp setting, same position, etc. What surprised me was how good the recording sounded when played back, and how easy it was to now share the "sound" of our creations in addition to just the photos. I am not sure if others have done something similar. It is not hard. For those of you whom have equipment to do measurements of your speakers, I am sure that those microphones would be sufficient for producing sound that can be uploaded to your posts. Granted, measurement mics are not stereo, but a mono track, like a picture, "is worth a thousand words." Even if one had no digital recorder or microphone handy, I know that a good set of dynamic headphones with high sensitivity when plugged into the mic input of your pc's sound card works as a pretty decent stereo microphone. So Cogitech, if you don't mind, please do an A/B recording of a broken-in driver and newer driver.
Thanks.
Xrk971

Btw, if you want to see, I mean hear, what my A/B sound clips for comparo sound like, it is on post 720 on this thread:
Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Yes, I saw that post.

The thing is, there is little point in doing any testing or recording because a) I have already put a good 30 hours on the new drivers at just short of "redline" volume and they are already starting to change their character. I believe that this "almost abuse" is what loosens the drivers up and lets them dig deeper (in this case, "as deep as they should go").

If I was going to do tests or recording, I should have done it immediately before and after installing the new drivers. I didn't. Hence, the first two sentences of my first post.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator
 
Cal Weldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
it sounded very different. I had to turn my sub on.
There's big difference between driver break in and driver warm up. Sounds like you are describing the latter.
__________________
Next stop: Margaritaville
Some of Cal's stuff | Cal Weldon Consulting
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 04:54 PM   #25
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Yes, I saw that post.

The thing is, there is little point in doing any testing or recording because a) I have already put a good 30 hours on the new drivers at just short of "redline" volume and they are already starting to change their character. I believe that this "almost abuse" is what loosens the drivers up and lets them dig deeper (in this case, "as deep as they should go").

If I was going to do tests or recording, I should have done it immediately before and after installing the new drivers. I didn't. Hence, the first two sentences of my first post.
Didn't you say that you bought 4 more? That would leave a set that had not been broken in yet, other than the 200 hrs Planet10 puts them through as part of souping them up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 05:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
....other than the 200 hrs Planet10 puts them through as part of souping them up.
And doesn't that make this entire discussion moot?

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 05:40 PM   #27
diyAudio Member
 
Melo theory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gulfport fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
You, like so many others, have completely disregarded the first sentences of my first post. They are there for a reason.
Well, you present a controversial topic, then suggest people not differ with it.
Why bother starting the thread?
That's like going to a bible study and saying this book is false I only believe in science.
Do you expect them not to convince you?
Wouldn't they wonder why you were there in the first place if you are not even willing to discuss it?
I guess the nay-sayers should just let this thread die and try to accept his opinion.
__________________
I LIKE YOU
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 06:02 PM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Didn't you say that you bought 4 more? That would leave a set that had not been broken in yet, other than the 200 hrs Planet10 puts them through as part of souping them up.
2 drivers in each cabinet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 06:04 PM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
And doesn't that make this entire discussion moot?

Bob
No, because Dave's 200 hours are at low levels. How low, I do not know, but they are not "break-in hours" as far as I can tell, because these drivers need to be broken in.

When I talk about break-in, I am not talking about "background, easy listening" levels.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 06:11 PM   #30
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Well, you present a controversial topic, then suggest people not differ with it.
Why bother starting the thread?
That's like going to a bible study and saying this book is false I only believe in science.
Do you expect them not to convince you?
Wouldn't they wonder why you were there in the first place if you are not even willing to discuss it?
I guess the nay-sayers should just let this thread die and try to accept his opinion.
I specifically said it was purely anecdotal.

Only a fool would try to actually convince the naysayers with empirical tests, sound samples, etc. The argument would never end anyway. I have seen enough threads involving this very argument to know that the naysayers will never sway from their opinions.

So this is just more anecdotal "evidence" to add to all the rest. Those who can hear the break-in differences can hear it. End of... No controversy.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best way to break in a subwoofer? realflow100 Car Audio 2 4th November 2012 05:33 PM
Did I break it? rakettraktor Class D 2 20th March 2012 10:52 PM
Break in wicked1 Tubes / Valves 0 18th February 2008 07:30 PM
Sub Break In CARTRulz Subwoofers 16 4th September 2006 03:40 AM
Combing effects: How real in "real" rooms? smeade1079 Multi-Way 3 10th March 2003 12:32 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2