Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

What I sincerely doubt is that those monsters keep the good WAF of the original/medium ones :) ...
My honey loves me. That's all I need. I start without letting her know, that's rule one. Just say you had an 'urge'. When she asks if you want to go visit the inlaws, you say "honey, I'd like to but maybe I should stay in and keep going on these, there's a lot to do and I don't want to have the place all messed up for days on end."
Angle the horn mouth forward and cover with a sheet of drywall for a false wall and have these hidden with only the driver and some Hvac grilles covering the mouth openings.
That's not a bad idea. If they sounded better than other speakers I have, I might consider that. Nope, I think I'm gonna take them to the speaker pub and let them hang out with their friends. They usually last a couple weeks here before finding their way to the watering hole.

It can work if you scale the plan to 48 inches x 48 inches x 6 inches deep. It is HUGE. The f3 is about 35 Hz (average SPL is 93 dB at 2.83 V at 1m). Nice looking response though and 35 Hz is plenty deep IMO.

haha, thanks. I've been itching to get the lcao, but budget as those are, my wallet would have liked the bg20's even more. Was thinking since they went to ~35 with a Fs of ~60, maybe the bg20 would go lower with a Fs of 35 - I guess it doesn't work that way :) No W to worry about the AF, but not a whole lot of room in the apartment either.. Maybe build just one for grins

hehe, not even close, or are you fooling with me? Can't tell.

OK... OK... I'll bite... Which other speakers (better than this ones) do you have?

I have a couple BIBs with Fostex FE166E I swear for, and I'm thinking in adding a couple FE108ESigma in some round front horns to go in the Full Horn Loaded direction...

I was thinking in trying this ones perhaps...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal has so many speakers that it would not be hard to beat the Cornu in sound quality. The Cornu has the cool factor of wall mounting and unique edge located horns which give a big sound but they are not anywhere close to flat response. The coloration they have is not displeasing and works well for many types of music.

I too am curious what Cal considers his best sounding speaker. Is it a multicellular horn? For me it is the Nautaloss Ref monitor in a FAST setup.

But for non FAST fullrange, the mini Karlsonator is my favorite speaker. All the satisfied builders of this speaker confirm that it sounds great.

Last edited:
Which other speakers (better than this ones) do you have?
Have a look at my Cal stuff link below. I haven't updated it in quite some time so a lot is missing.
I too am curious what Cal considers his best sounding speaker.
The environment dictates which I prefer. The smaller the room, the smaller the speaker can be.

For critical listening maybe the small Jimmy?

Attachments

• finished front.jpg
    finished front.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 414
  • finished back.jpg
    finished back.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 401
Hi Nick,

Rust-Oleum American Accents 12-oz. Stone Mineral Brown Textured Finish Spray Paint-238324 at The Home Depot

In black with white specks over an exterior flat black rolled on 3 or 4 times and sanded in between coats. 3/4" ply cabinet.

Hi Cal,

These look really good btw.
Must have required a lot of work.
I thought I had too many speakers and a forgiving girlfriend, but looking at your collection and dave's (planet10) it makes me think that I should be able to do better :)

Regards