Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 01:28 AM   #741
diyAudio Member

Cool find.

"The Home Store" here in the DFW area carries many canvas prints wrapped around a cheap frame attached with staples...all of which are either 20"x20" or 24"x24". Hundreds of them. Cheap too! WAF just increased exponentially.
Old 6th April 2013, 03:16 AM   #742
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrctyman View Post
Drivers ordered....and now they are on backorder....ugh....

I have not read of any catastrophe's regarding folks building their enclosures prior to receiving the drivers.... Is there something I am missing? My thoughts were, that I could build everything but cutting out the hole for the front panel (3.25" opening). Does a hole saw in the foam board cut easily after it is put together?
No worries, I cut the hole last always with an xacto.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:13 PM   #743
diyAudio Member

Hi guys!
Finally received the drivers and did a quick test of the speakers!

I bolted it in place and with the rest of the speaker facing upwards, left the front plate just sitting on top without applying any glue to it. I also added some sheep wool damping material to the cavity of the driver and provisionally wired a twisted pair between the fostex and one of the channels of my lm1875 amp. Then plugged a laptot as input for the lm1875 amp.

All I can say is WOW!!! Even with that provisional setup, it sounds better than I could ever have imagined!

Bass is awesome (maybe it will improve after adding damping material, don't you think so?? ), mids are well defined and highs are really clear. I played several music styles and it scored well in all of them. Classical, acoustic, blues and electronic music sounded great, and vocals sounded so clear you felt like the singer was just there before you. Rock music, I must admit, though sounding good it was a little muddy :S Hope it gets fixed after gluing the front plate and adding damping in the horn mouths.

Not to mention movies, the speaker reproduced them very very good!!

Cant wait to have the speakers totally glued and damped and hear how the sound improves! Im very happy that even unfinished, the speaker exceeds my expectations and is totally worth the effort!!

I'm quite a newbie in all this, and don't have much to compare with. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the result!!
Thank you all so much for the support and help, hopefully I'll have the speaker lacquered and finished in a couple of days!!

Here I attached a couple of pictures of the provisional setup. You can find some more pictures, etc inside the last post at my blog! 22 nanofarads | Audio & Electronics Blog

Kind regards,
Fran

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:29 PM   #744
diyAudio Member

Fran,
Congratulations! I am glad it sounds good and was worth the effort. When you say that you have not glued the front plate - do you mean the main front wood baffle panel is still not glued yet? If this is the case, the sound will improve dramatically once you glue it because without the glue the smallest air leak will really reduce the bass. Also, it will even be better sounding once mounted on a wall. So I think you still have more pleasant surprises in the sound once you glue the top panel on. They look really good by the way.

Btw, you have built some really ice amps there!
Old 11th April 2013, 12:51 PM   #745
Zigis is offline Zigis  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Fran, are you using RCA for speaker output ???
Old 11th April 2013, 12:54 PM   #746
diyAudio Member

Thanks xrk971!!
Yes, the front baffle is not glued yet. That's really encouraging!!!
Can't wait to get it glued, and I'm happy that you liked my amps!!

Forgot to mention that the sound is really loud! Don't know if that's because of the sensitivity of the fe108ez or the speaker design itself, but I couldn't even turn the amp volume half the way up with a single speaker!!
Old 11th April 2013, 12:58 PM   #747
diyAudio Member

Hi Zigis,

Do you mean RCA connectors? I'll be using some connectors like these:

For now, I just connected the speaker directly to the amp for testing.
Old 17th April 2013, 04:51 AM   #748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I got a little carried away last night. While the cat was away, I decided to push my luck a little. I had been talking music with the captain (Morgan) so I was feeling no pain and wanted to see what happens when you let the volume control slip a bit. I am running the Tascam 30 watt mini PA amp. The drivers are the CSS VWR126's with a big ol' choke and the JVC white cones with a 50 fd cap.

They did not disappoint. They held their own like you would expect a party speaker to do. Lots 'o' bass and the highs were nicely controlled like you hope to get from a small driver. Not sure you could call this a FAST system but why not? I had those little drivers just a pumpin' and this morning my ears were still ringing.

Yes, I was surprised, yes I was stupid to push the expensive CSS drivers like that but what the hey, they handle a lot more than I was putting into them and I was sitting there with a big audio woody once again.

Thanks X, there's a lot of fun to be had here.
I like the look of the white speakers. I wonder why more drivers are not made in different colors.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:50 PM   #749
ryani is offline ryani  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I finally got around to getting my pictures off my camera.

I've been enjoying these Cornu's for the past few months. 24"x24" with 4.5" channels. I went with the tangband 4" bamboo driver and love them!

I have many friends that can't believe the sound these put out. Such great low freq extension.

I monkeyed with the stuffing a bit behind the speaker a bit and it sounds great.

Fyi the foamcore doesn't really like latex paint. haha It separated from the foam when I got too wet. I just turned that horn to ceiling so no one could see it. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great place to get ideas for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers 004.jpg (498.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Speakers 006.jpg (522.3 KB, 289 views)
Old 18th April 2013, 11:03 PM   #750
diyAudio Member

Ryani,
Those look great! You are the first one I know who went with the 24x4.5 with TB bamboo. I guess it worked out well. How did you arrive at the dimensions? Very nice work. I wish I could hear it. Now I am thinking the next drivers to get are thr 4 in bamboos. Is that the 1337sdf's?
X

Hide this!Advertise here!