Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can! - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2013, 11:56 PM   #441
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

Illusus- they look great
Old 20th January 2013, 02:30 PM   #442
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

No, my son didn't paint them. Just some wall decals I slapped on. My son's art is a little more abstract, he's only fourteen months old .

I wasn't sure which small drivers (I have boxes upon boxes of random crap I pulled from goodwill junk) I was going to jam in there so I made the 20x20. I used the little logitec(model Z something) because it fit in the bear's mouth. I have a lot of foam board kicking around and I'll give it another, proper go soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg art 004.jpg (536.0 KB, 459 views)
Old 20th January 2013, 05:21 PM   #443
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Using weight for a measure of general quality won't always hold true.

Motorola for example puts a huge piece of steel inside of their hand microphones to make them "Feel" like quality.
Now, don't get me wrong they ARE excellent quality but without it I do have to say they just feel like a toy.
Matter of fact a local police officer here got in a fight while trying to cuff a guy that was a foot taller than him.
He ended up using the Motorola Hand Mic as a flail to beat the guy because his other hand was pinned and couldn't reach anything else.
LOL

I do have to say though I usually have to pick up an amplifier before I buy it to see how much Iron it has in it.

Last edited by Einric; 20th January 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #444
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Einric,
What are you talking about? How light weight speakers can still sound good?
Old 20th January 2013, 08:01 PM   #445
jsouder is offline jsouder  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First Pair Done & Hung!

Got the 20" traditional Cornu pair finished. Have the TB W3-881SI 3" full range drivers. Instead of Cal's suggestion to stuff with rock wool, I used some real wool from a "roving" (carded fleece) from one of our sheep.

These do sound amazing! Listening to Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" through a Lepai 2020A. So, let's see, this is about a $50 system (without the iPod). Unbelievable!

Photo141.jpg Cornu in room.jpg
Old 20th January 2013, 11:41 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

Jsouder,
Those look great! You did a really precise job following the plan for the channels. The genuine wool hot off the back of your roving sheep takes the cake though! I am glad you ended up with a sound that you like. What channel depth did you use? Those $10 Tang Band buyouts seem to be having good success in the cornu. It also looks like the amount of stuffing you used worked out well too. Yours could be a prescription for those wanting to try a very low cost version of the cornu's. Like you said, you got love how good they sound for $50 with amplifier.
Congratulations!
Old 21st January 2013, 03:13 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

Thank you xrk971 for posting the six horn Puck drawing! It helped me a lot dealing with my space problem. We moved house and my big and tall Voigt-pipes would cover the windows in our preferred listening space. The area under the windows offers a 39" by 33" space and I have these exceptional great sounding RCA SL12 drivers which need a 10 3/4" cutout and worked well back-loaded in a Voigt pipe.

I got to work with your Puck diagram and arrived at a solution enlarging the underlying square grid to 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" squares. I bend the horn exits a bit to conform the rectangle and lost one turn in the center, but I think I can work with the resulting design. The resulting horns have good length: h1 is 88" or 2.24m; h2 is 52" or 1.32m;
h3 is 73" or 1.86m; h4 is 44" or 1.12m; h5 is 66" or 1.67m; h6 is 67" or 1.7m

Distance between drivers will be 2.5m when I hang them each side of the fireplace.

Should be interesting what the horns of different length do to the response curve and more important to the sound. Will be a couple of weeks before I can report on results.
Thanks a million to all the posters here, spend some time with you to read it all!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 21st January 2013, 03:40 AM   #448
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Merely a funny story about weight being no good measure of quality.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:50 AM   #449
diyAudio Member

Glowglass,
Wow! That will be one impressive horn to see. I am glad to see someone willing to go 'off reservation' and try their own idea. Make sure you check the upper cutoff freq equation to select your throat area relative to driver chamber volume. How deep will your channels be? That is one very large driver.
Good luck!
Old 21st January 2013, 02:41 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

Yes it is large, but responds best to small power, like SE tube amps.
My channels will have to be 5 1/2" deep at least to accomodate the driver. And I do have to reread the section on throat calculations and find the data on my drivers.Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!