Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can! - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 04:54 PM   #281
diyAudio Member

Okie dokie, speakers are finally up and running. I will reserve judgement until the drivers have had some time to run in. I only have one viable placement option, which is on the long side of the room facing my sofa, but that seems fairly ideal. I can play with raising or lowering them; they're presently two feet above the floor. The horns are definitely producing a LOT of bass. Compared to my W5s they sound brighter and a bit thinner right now, although I have to say the sound is much more balanced than I was expecting. Even now the sound is VERY big. More to come...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (367.0 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.jpg (208.6 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0175.jpg (222.9 KB, 449 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 05:09 PM   #282
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice looking units there Chaz.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:47 PM   #283
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Yes, but notice how much people try to add porous dampening materials like felt wool, carpet padding, etc to the inside of cabinets. I think the dampening can be tailored by painting with a nonporous paint over the sections that you don't want as much dampening. This stuff is very dense, not like felt or foam but closer to fiberboard. It has the benefit of reducing reflections from the front, and the Cornu is a speaker with a very large baffle area relative to other speaker designs, exceeded maybe by OB's. In fact, one of the complaints about open baffle designs is that they have such a large surface area of reflection in the room. For the Cornu especially, people seem to getting too much peaky bass behavior and this may be beneficial because there is too much bass.
The concern is that it's a lossy front panel- there will be LF losses throughout the horn's path. It's entirely possible that would make a smoother response at the cost of some bass efficiency.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:23 PM   #284
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello All
I am just about to start running some wires in my Cornu spirals. What has worked for you who have completed yours?

cheers
Old 4th January 2013, 07:38 PM   #285
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Wires can be straight through the back behind the driver or if you use your soldering iron, you can melt or poke little holes in the horn and feed the wire up from the bottom, through the channels. I did mine on the back.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:01 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

Cal- did you use a small cup on the back or just feed the wires through
Old 4th January 2013, 09:10 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

While waiting for the drivers for my 18" Cornu I decided to make some babies. They are 8" square with channels a bit over 1". Right now I have only done 1 to see how it would work out. The driver is a crappy one I pulled out of an old portable iPod box I had lying around. I hope to replace them with some Aura NSW1-205-8A's. For these ones I used Cal's rounded curves as they were much easier to fold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm.cornu.jpg (230.0 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg sm.cornu2.jpg (402.9 KB, 392 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 09:37 PM   #288
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezden View Post
Cal- did you use a small cup on the back or just feed the wires through
Small binding posts in a cup.
Quote:
For these ones I used Cal's rounded curves as they were much easier to fold.
I am thinking the same thing. I have some LG drivers and some Jordan 6T's that I might have to throw into the ring.

BTW, those curves aren't mine, I just adjusted them slightly. I've blown them up for my BIL but I have an extra for me.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:03 PM   #289
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
While waiting for the drivers for my 18" Cornu I decided to make some babies. They are 8" square with channels a bit over 1". Right now I have only done 1 to see how it would work out. The driver is a crappy one I pulled out of an old portable iPod box I had lying around. I hope to replace them with some Aura NSW1-205-8A's. For these ones I used Cal's rounded curves as they were much easier to fold.
Cool! New record for smallest Cornu. How do they sound?
Congratulations!
Old 4th January 2013, 10:05 PM   #290
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
Okie dokie, speakers are finally up and running. I will reserve judgement until the drivers have had some time to run in. I only have one viable placement option, which is on the long side of the room facing my sofa, but that seems fairly ideal. I can play with raising or lowering them; they're presently two feet above the floor. The horns are definitely producing a LOT of bass. Compared to my W5s they sound brighter and a bit thinner right now, although I have to say the sound is much more balanced than I was expecting. Even now the sound is VERY big. More to come...
Very nice work Chaz! The drivers look a little overwhelmed by the big baffle but I bet they have a lot of bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!