Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Sound is now amazing but took a lot of tweaking..ie, playing around with the stuffing.
The driver is a Lyeco (Dynavox) LY401F, inexpensive ( I am on a budget) yet seriously incredible, crystal clear sound with a nice, soft bass that you can feel in all the furniture.
Wood is 6mm ply, the spirals are 3mm under carpet insulation (expanded polystyrene sheets)
I cant fault a single thing so far, but it did take a week of repeated listening to get the stuffing right. That means I basically removed most of the stuffing except for behind the driver magnet.

I am in poland..ordered from spectrumaudio in Germany. Wanted Monacor to start with but got some good advice from the owner of the company that the new Monacors are rubbish and he suggested a few alternatives. My only comparisons are to my tannoy and castle speakers which are not full range but your more standard 2 driver deals. These truly sound..well..very different. I have never heard such clarity before. I was watching a live BBC recording and actually got frustrated at hearing the audience flipping pages and coughing..quite out of this world. But my journey in diy has just begun..I am now having sleepless nights over the amp I am about to build. It is a very strong, yet healthy addiction this stuff

Off-Topic:

@ twocents

Oldfield-Fan ?

Here's my Desktop:

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 450
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Doctor Why,
I ran the simulation of the Cornu with a single Kappa pro 10LF and dual in isobaric configuration.

Here is single driver:
attachment.php

Here is dual driver in isobaric configuration:
attachment.php

As I suspected, there is no advantage of using isobaric in this configuration. You would get some benefit if you mounbted both drivers one on each side facing out and mounted this away from walls. It could be configured like an OB or as a bipole (no baffle step loss).

Attachments

• Cornu-Kappa-10LF-single-Freq.png
    Cornu-Kappa-10LF-single-Freq.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 497
  • Cornu-Kappa-10LF-double-isobaric-Freq.png
    Cornu-Kappa-10LF-double-isobaric-Freq.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 494
Hi guys,

@xrk871:
Thank you for the Akabak calculations. The frequency responses confirm my guess and the results of Hornresp (27 Hz fu and boost at 33 Hz). So the frequency response is not as bad as it looks on paper. I already planned a 30 hertz bass boost in advance - I can save it now.
The subsonic filter I will initially set to 25 hertz and below with 30dB / oct high pass filters.

Also the area around my planned crossover frequency around 50 to 60 Hertz (Linkwitz-Riley 4th order) looks good, because my DIY-Backloaded horns with modified Fostex FE206en have a lower limit frequency of 45 Hertz. So that fits well, even from the sound pressure. A different mounting than on the wall is unfortunately not possible.

@ Don Hills
The threaded Rods were not so expensive: one 1m Rod in M16 (16mm) cost around 5.50 Euro (~8.47 AUD).
For me it is much easier to work with them as with Woodscrews. Also the Rods have to stabilize the Wood against the enormous Shear forces. Remember: the Front Plate weights around 73 kg plus 18kg ofthe two Drivers plus the bendable Plywood 20 kg and at least 5 kg of Iron of the Rods, Bolts and so on...)

D.W.

Last edited:
Duly noted.

This is my second time ever having the flu in about a decade. Its every bit as bad as I remembered.

Advil took care of some of the general aches and fever, not to mention the aching back that came with laying in bed so much.

It makes you feel extra good to be alive once you start feeling signs of improvement :hot: