Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

2nd attempt

After my failure in the first attempt I finally glued my 2nd attempt together this time with success! (thanks Coen for the glue info)

The glue holds well this time but.... i put my visaton FRS8 in the enclosure and this time there was bass but the voices sounded "like a tin can". So i did put in some fiber filling. The result is better now but still it sounds a bit "around the corner.."

I can however hear what the overall joy about this design is about the FRS8 on it one would never produce this much sound an this stereo image.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 682
Glad to hear the glue worked out. If you're looking for another driver i can recommend the fountek FE85 (RumoH - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers sells them for E13,50) looks about the same size as the visaton you're using.

I decided my next build is going to be another 3inch driver since i still have the 24inch wooden boards i was planning on using and this will give me a chance to try out a horn before starting a bigger one :) the Monacor SPX-32M looks like it would work.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work Xerxes. Glad they worked out for you and sound good. The FRS8 is kind of a small driver, you might want to try a TC9FD if those are available where you live. I recently put my Cornu's with the TC9FD's back on the wall (after having been out for a long time since I borrowed their drivers), and man it still sounds really nice. Jazz with saxophone and stand up bass just has a wonderful spaciousness and open soundstage that really draws you in. It put a smile on my face and reminded me why I got into diy in the first place. I still think that the TC9FD and a 20 in foam core Cornu is perhaps one of the best values out there for great sounding, easy to build, and unique looking speaker. I will be listening to more songs through it now. Classic rock (Blues Travelers) actually sounds really good with the Cornu, surprisingly good in fact.

Hey!!

Long time no post :(
I've been really busy all this time, but finally got the cornus finished!!
Lacquering and finishing the wood was really a tough job but it was all worth it!!
I wanted to drop a line here to thank you all for your help and info, it's because of you that they ended up so well!!

This is how they look like:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wrote a post in my blog with some additional pictures and info, if you want to take a look:

Spiral horn speakers under construction. Part3 | 22 nanofarads

Thank you guys!!
Fran

Wow thank you guys!

I made an autocad file from the spiral layout and CNC'd the middle plate. Then I inserted long strips of 4mm okume plywood which bent at some extent through the middle plate, and glued them to it. The remaining part of the spiral (the inner part) was left because okume did not bend that much, and I had to cut small strips of it and glue them together to finish the form of each spiral's arm.

Lacquering the wooden channels was hard, because it was not possible to polish the surface as fine as the front and black plates, which are totally flat. If you touch the front and back plates they feel completely smooth, but if you touch the horn mouths they feel a little more rough. Anyway, nobody is supposed to touch the inner part of the horns, and they look as good as the front plate, just feeling a little more rough to touch.

All I can say is WOW !!!

Hi All,

I want to give an extra thanks xrk971 and Cal for getting me inspired to build the Cornu speakers. I just finished the secon one on Sunday and got the stuffing right an hour ago. I built the 20" version with 3.75" walls and was lucky enough to be able to print any size drawing at work. The first one was done a few weeks ago and I have been listening at home and decided to bring it into work to show a few friends that are big Bose fans. They were shaking their heads in disbelief of the 3.5" Vifa driver was hitting the lows and the mids and upper range was so clear. I had the foam board before I found this thread because I have been flying R/C models for decades and also had some gap filling foam safe instant glue that made the build go quick. I noticed recently the Vifa drivers went on sale at PE for $9.90 so I bought 10 more, such a deal. I will be building more of these for gifts. Most of what I read is way over my head being a newbie so I was very pleased how well they sound. Thanks again to all for your input.

Scott (aka Webber)