Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Hi guys
I'm planning on building another pair of Cornus. Gave away the little 8" ones to a friend. The new ones will be 12-13". I'm guessing that a 1.5" driver would be about right. Is that correct? So far I have not had any luck a the thrift stores so may have to buy some new drivers. What would be a good inexpensive speaker?
Love to see all the creative designs on this thread!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Prezden,
I saw some of your nice amps in the class D forum. Looks like you like to use the TPA3122 chip and 8 watts power is what you have. I don't know how good this one is but it looks like the ideal driver at 1.8 in and is rated at 8 watts from Visaton.
Visaton Aluminum Cone 4W Full Range Speaker 1.8 Inch | BF 45 | Visaton

The frame mount may be a problem. Otherwise you will have to go up to 2 inches and use something like Visaton FRS5.
Visaton 2 Inch 5W 8 Ohm Miniature Mid Range Speaker | FRS5 2231 | Visaton

1" Tangband Speakers

Rebuilt my earlier attempt at using commercial floor tiles for speaker enclosures. This one has the 1" Tangband full range drivers. I used 1/32" fiber gasket material from the auto parts store for the baffles in the 4-horn true spiral layout. Legs are cut from a 3" length of 6" heavy duty plastic water pipe. Still looks nicer than it sounds. May make one more attempt before moving onto another project (which will probably be a 20" circular 6-horn design for 3" NS speakers).

8%22 Tile Speaker.jpg Clamping.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!!
These are some pictures of the pair of cornus I'm currently building.
Thanks for such a good thread!! I couldn't follow it until now, and there's a lot of good info inside!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They're not finished yet, but will post some updates soon!!
Take a look at my blog 22 nanofarads | Audio & Electronics Blog for further description and pictures of the build.

Regards,
Fran

Last edited:
Glad you liked it!!
I'm sorry I couldn't figure out how to add clickable thumbnails to the post :S

To be honest it is a lot of work! This is one of my first speaker projects, and never built anything similar before. I feel comfortable with electronics, amp building etc, but wood work is totally new to me.

If I couldn't have CNC'd the middle plate, I would've never started this project. This would be the hardest part if done manually but with a CNC machine this is not a problem. Therefore, the hardest part for me has been gluing the entire spiral to the middle plate, and filling the remaining gaps with glue.

Anyway I'm far from finished yet!! Still have to glue the top and botom plates and add damping and the speaker. Not to mention white lacquering the whole enclosure.
There are still several things left to do, but can't wait to hear how all this sound!!

Hope it's worth the effort, I'll keep you up to date with this!!

Thanks again for the tips and all the valuable info inside this and the other threads in this forum!!

Regards,
Fran

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Fran,
Your courage to take on the Cornu challenge in wood is very admirable and more than many of us have - which is what led me down the easy (and maybe lazy) way of building the Cornu in foam core. It is very easy and can be done in several hours - I feel bad saying that because I know how hard you must have worked :) But you have an all-wood speaker that will sound great, look great, and will be quite a conversation piece in your home or wherever you plan to mount it. Do not worry - it will sound fantastic, especially since you did a great job by CNC'ing the channel pattern - which can be critical to how it sounds. Make sure you hang it on a wall - absolute must to get wall reinforcement of the horn mouth for the bass. It will not sound anything like its potential by sitting in free space in the middle of a room when testing there.
Good luck with the remainder of your build!

Thanks for the compliment X!! The picture is a little deceiving, I should sand the joints thoroughly yet if I want to get a more professional look.

About gluing the front and back plates, I'm not sure yet. The only idea I had in mind is to apply a strip of glue along each spiral arm, and then put the front (or back) in place. Once the front is in place, I'd put something heavy on top of the speaker to ensure everything makes good contact and let dry.

Do you have any other idea??
Prior to all that I'll sand the spiral arms a little just in case something's got different height. That way I'll be sure that the spiral arms make contact with the plate through all their way.

Forgot to mention that i haven't drilled the holes for the speaker cables yet. I should've done it before gluing to the middle plate, now It's gonna be more difficult to do.

Sorry if what I write is not easily understandable, I'm not very good at english :D