Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Some of you guys mentioned that one issue with the spiral horns relates to not filtering out the higher frequencies. This got me thinking about helmholtz resonators. It seems like you could add a helmholtz resonator (or band-stop filter) at the throat of the horn to help reject an unwanted frequency.

Taking the idea in another direction, you could add an expansion chamber between the driver airspace and the throat of the horn to create an acoustic lowpass filter.

Of course it seems like these could only potentially be accomplished with a 2 path horn in a square/rectangular shape.

Just found out this idea has already been investigated here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ed-horn-loudspeaker-system-2.html#post3186488 woohoo, more good reading!

Shame that there's not enough time to read all the interesting threads on diyaudio!

Finished. Until some further modifications... :D

Attachments

• SoleLuna01_2.jpeg
    SoleLuna01_2.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 717
Totally different ;)

Have you seen the Shreddies commercials from a few years ago?

quote:
In January 2008, the company started a new ad campaign for new "Diamond Shreddies", Consumer reaction to the campaign has translated into a statistically significant sales increase, according to at least one media report on the campaign's success.[7] The campaign won the 2008 Grand Clio Award for Integrated (i.e. multiple media) Campaign.[8]

Very nice Jetlag.

I love the artwork we are seeing on these things. Being a wall mount really does change the rules. :)

Jetlag, I have to correct you. We owe the most amount of thanks to XRK. He really is the instigator here and the driving force behind the builds. I jumped on board when I saw he was doing the spiral horns as I have wanted to do them for many years. If you go through the thread you can see just how many persons there are to thank for their input. I just started this thread to keep it separate from the other foam cabinets X has been making.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
I owe the popularity of this build to your enthusiasm and willingness to give it a try. It helps to have a trusted old hand in these forums to second the build - thanks! I have noticed that folks have not tried my other foam builds :( - maybe because you haven't led them with another second? After trying so many designs on a single driver, I would highly recommend folks give the FH3-inspired horn a serious try. It sounds really good! Still a project that can be completed in a weekend.
:D
X

Hey X,

I have a feeling I'm not the only one who wanted to try the Cornu. My enthusiasm takes a back seat here. You allowed us the opportunity to explore the wonderment of the spiral horn. It's a design that really needed what you offered, ie: the chance to build it and find out for ourselves how it was going to work. Don't take this wrong but other, more traditional speakers can be built with wood. Remember wood? I miss wood. It was so good for all those years.

Seriously though, I can't see me building a more traditional style box from foam core other than to get an idea about the possibilities of a 'real' cabinet. The Cornucopya OTOH, I spent time finishing as I was happy with the sound so I thought it deserved a little 'dress up' knowing I probably won't try building an original wood cabinet.

I am glad my enthusiasm was a contributor, but as mentioned, the credit goes to you. You are master, I am grashopper.

Now, if you want to talk big speakers and why there might be an occasion to consider them, well...

Cheers. :)

The love-in continues.

Sorry Dave, you'll always be there for me I know, but sometimes a speakerholic just needs to explore. Forgive me while I find myself.

All those years, a big speaker guy, using wood for cabinets, this is an absolute conflict. I am hoping this will run it's course and I will be back to being the old Cal. Big speakers, big amps, no room for questions, just music the way it's supposed to be, loud and proud.

Call it mid-life crisis, call it whatever you want...

...but man you have to build a set of these. Seriously man. :)