Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Master: "Tell me Grasshopper, what do you see when I show you this plain white rectangular foam core board?"

Grasshopper: "I see many many different speakers that I can build quickly and cheaply..."

Master: "Ahhh, but do you see the accumulation of the heaps of speaker builds that collect in the court yard, crying out to be connected to an amplifier so that they might be able to utter a sound?"

Grasshopper: "Does a speaker exist if it doesn't make a sound?

Master: "Swmbo hears it." :)

Grasshopper: "Does a speaker exist if it doesn't make a sound?
Yes my son. Any object that occupies space, exists.
Master: Swmbo hears it.
Ahhh... thank you master. You have spoken words that others will find so truly wise. This grasshopper has already recognized the wisdom as he is blessed with a SWMBO. Until SWMBO, grasshopper thought himself wise. He has now been enlightened to the truth. He now realizes his choice of daily attire is in the hands of a wiser person. He also realizes that flatulence in bed is less than desirable and that body odour shall be of the flowery variety as apposed to the "after sports" sort that was perfectly acceptable until the arrival of SWMBO.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled speaker thread.

Package arrived from planet10 with the two new sets of Aura drivers. The $2 AS3's are better than expected.
Hard to see but the other mounting holes have been filled with hot glue.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,454
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I got a reply to my PM to Hersh (Sebastien Pitkanen). He said that when he did the cornu, he talked to Daniel and the double layer plan with the semi-curved design was supposed to be the final optimized design. Apparently there is supposed to be something to that design and having 8 flow channels or horns that makes a difference. It would be interesting for somebody to make an exact copy with two layer horn in foam core in the full 70 cm size and use recommended driver (Monacor or FE108Esigma) and do a measurement. Anyone have a FE108ESigma handy?

How do they sound, Cal?

Four of them sound good. The two that I wouldn't recommend for this application are the slightly smaller chinese driver with the recessed flange (third from the left) and the Jordan.

They all need to be pushed right against the wall to achieve decent bass, no wiggle room on that.

The $2 Aura is no slouch so it definitely wins the economy division.

The more expensive Aura and the JVC drivers are similar with the LG's slightly in the lead. But as mentioned the jury is still out, too soon to say for sure.

Mr. xrk, I got some spare HiVi B3s. Are they good for your 20 inch design ? I shall keep the
throat 3 x 1.2 inch. Since they are heavier, I guess double foam core board for the panels is
required.

Another question, what is the major difference between the foam board used in the cartoon boxes and
the foam core board ?? Can I strengthen the foam board by sticking the self-sticking wall paper ??

Attachments

• vifa tc9fd - HiVi B3s.jpg
    vifa tc9fd - HiVi B3s.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 841