Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... this drives the cutoff frequency up into the 300 Hz range.

... and adding some stuffing actually stretched it upwards of 400 to 500 Hz which may be too much upper bass

300 Hz is more like a maximum, not a target.

MidBass is 40-80 Hz. With the smaller drivers you are struggling even to get into the midbass.
Upper Bass is 80-160 Hz.
Lower Midrange 160-320 Hz.

dave

xrk971,
It is considered a good rule of thumb to never make a horn's bandwidth more than two octaves (e.g. 50-200hz), this is made to keep phasing issue to a minimum IIRC.
Furthermore, getting a horn up to the 300hz range will yield more harm than good, at this frequency, most drivers (bigger than 2inches) response will be practically at the driver's nominal SPL, and the phase difference and distance between driver and horn mouth will cause a lot of dip.
A horn should be used to effectively boost the driver's response as it falls, which in the case of most drivers mentioned so far in this thread, is around the 100hz mark.
I hope I am being clear enough, long day at work, brain nearing clinical death.
Regards
Nick

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Planet10 and Hajj,
Thanks for the feedback. So perhaps, the addition of too much volume filler is not needed. I will work on determining the horn length and mouth needed to get down below 100 Hz and should I limit the max upper horn frequency to 160 Hz? Maybe it's my ears and the type of music I like to hear but some of the peaks at the cornu puts out in the 200 to 300 Hz range sound pleasing to my ears. By no means is this a speaker that is neutral -t definitely has flavor or as some call it, colour to the music.

Well I finally completed the 16" Cornu build and must say they sound great. And that is with a pair of brand new TB W3-881SJF's. I can only guess how they will sound when broken in.
Yesterday evening a friend came over and we spent a couple hrs. listening to a variety of jazz and classical. I haven't been that blissed out listening to music for a long time.
Thanks to all for your help and encouragement. :D

Attachments

• lr cornu.jpg
    lr cornu.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 830
  • lr cornu2.jpg
    lr cornu2.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 814
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Prezden,
Very nice job! They look fantastic mounted on the wall - I am happy to hear that they sound great and you are enjoying listening to the music. The cornu is what made me want to listen to music again - it has a special sound. Do you mean the W3-881sif clearance drivers for $10 ea? There is a good deal in great sounding and nice looking speakers for you. What depth did you make the 16 incher and which plan are you using?
Congrats! :cheers:

Thanks guys
The front cover is a heavily textured hand made paper but wall paper would work just as well. I also made the front 1/2" all round bigger than the actual box so you don't see the edges and It gives them a sense of floating off the wall.
I got the drivers from Solen for about $16. each.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks guys
The front cover is a heavily textured hand made paper but wall paper would work just as well. I also made the front 1/2" all round bigger than the actual box so you don't see the edges and It gives them a sense of floating off the wall.
I got the drivers from Solen for about $16. each.

Your handmade textured paper looks great on the Cornu's. Where do you buy it or do you make the paper yourself? What amp are you using to drive the 16 inchers?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK folks, I have been doing some studying of horn theory using MJK's nice papers.

One thing i haven't seen you consider is that:

at the air cavity cutoff frequency, the distance the back wave has to travel down the horn and out to your ear should be (2n+1)/2 (n = o or any positive integer)* wavelengths of cutoff frequency further than the direct travel from the front of the cone to your ear.

*(odd number of half wavelengths)

In other words an approriate upper cutoff has a limited number of discreet values.

dave

Your handmade textured paper looks great on the Cornu's. Where do you buy it or do you make the paper yourself? What amp are you using to drive the 16 inchers?
I buy the paper from a local specialty shop. Unfortunately it only comes in 20x28" sheets so a bit limiting in size.
Right now I am using an ODAC, JLM 06 pre and a 2024 amp. I'm hoping to make a gainclone for them in the future.

cheers

Since I can't really help myself I stopped in at not one but two different Sally Ann's.

What I found at the 1st resembles the LG in appearance but they are a little light in the top end. Made by JVC in China they were solo in small ported boxes. They have a stronger bass but not good as a tweeter. Kinda half way between the Fostex 125's and the LG's. On axis they are fine but fade quickly off axis.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 681