Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, this method works so well. Started my second speaker this evening, but was interrupted by a friend who needed help with his computer. So, it'll have to be finished another day.

Looks great! I see you have a Vifa TC9FD and a woofer in an old PC cardboard box. Nice repurposing. Great looking PhD diploma btw. :) looking forward to hearing your results and listening impressions. Is that a TB bamboo cone driver on the Cornu?

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Oh man, you got hawk eyes! Indeed, it's the Vifa, and the TB bamboo! I mounted the Vifa in the server box at work because I was too impatient to wait until I got home, and I liked it so much that I brought the whole thing home. :)) In fact some of my artsy friends were floored by my "originality"... I just nodded and smiled. Hehe!

First impression is that the TB bamboo driver lacks some highs. But I still need to play with stuffing, and I expect that things will be different with two speakers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Did the challenge for the less expensive Cornu speaker beginn ?

Which less expensive driver could feet instead a fostex ? If no wide band a no loaded tweeter + a double spiral for others drivers ? Did I understand corecltly ?

Cal did not like the idea but if you are willing to take on the "dollar store challenge" go ahead. Probably don't have dollar stores in Europe so I may have to modify the requirements to: the speaker cannot cost more than $20 total for all materials and supplies including drivers. A good full range that people should try is the Vifa TC7FD. Less than $10 ea and I hear that they are very good. The other one is the Visaton FR8 or FR10. Finally for super budget try the $4 Aurasound ND525. Cannibalizing PC speakers is another option. Those usually have 2 inch sometimes 3 inch full range drivers and an amp and people throw them away in the trash.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Could be a great challenge for the children for the Mother Day or the Dad Day ! At least for the Grand Ma Day (we have it in France !)

I can imagine a Cornu maid at school with camembert cheese boxes and a Vifa for the living room with a picture on Obama on it or for below the roof for ours cars ! :eek: A cornu wide band just above our heads... The cornu Hifi car !:D

Cal did not like the idea but if you are willing to take on the "dollar store challenge" go ahead. Probably don't have dollar stores in Europe so I may have to modify the requirements to: the speaker cannot cost more than $20 total for all materials and supplies including drivers. A good full range that people should try is the Vifa TC7FD. Less than $10 ea and I hear that they are very good. The other one is the Visaton FR8 or FR10. Finally for super budget try the $4 Aurasound ND525. Cannibalizing PC speakers is another option. Those usually have 2 inch sometimes 3 inch full range drivers and an amp and people throw them away in the trash.
Good luck!

We have some 1.37 dollars store here in France but it's rare, not like Japan e.g.

I found sometimes in gardbadge nicer product :Luxman D107 cd player with broken trap :5 minutes to fix : sound as new :D. Or Marantz amp, or many cdplayers with wonderfull chips and sometimes perfectly working as the last was an aiwa with pcm56P ! :D:D.

Will try the pc's speakers ! good hints than the Vifa for old children like me... i will give it a try ? Nice for cars ? A cornu in a car's door : let sell the idea to Valeo !

Cal did not like the idea

I didn't like the idea because I would have to exclude myself. I have everything to make more of these on hand so I wouldn't be buying anything and a lot of it didn't come from a dollar store, so I'd be the odd man out. :bawling:

Besides, I already have the best sounding Cornucopya to date so where would I start? ;)

Actually, I have 3 sets that I think would work well in the Cornus.
A 6.5" woofer for maybe a 40" or larger.
A 6.5" FR with an inverted surround and an awesome vocal presence.
A 4" Eastech FR recently acquired that might go well in something smaller.

Attachments

• P5160007.jpg
    P5160007.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 444
  • P5160008.jpg
    P5160008.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 438
  • P5160009.jpg
    P5160009.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 431
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I didn't like the idea because I would have to exclude myself. I have everything to make more of these on hand so I wouldn't be buying anything and a lot of it didn't come from a dollar store, so I'd be the odd man out. :bawling:

Besides, I already have the best sounding Cornucopya to date so where would I start? ;)

I guess maybe the challenge should be: "Build the best speaker from nothing but dumpsters and dollar stores while you are on travel (no shop, no tools) for $20 or less." If not on travel, pretend you are so you have to buy knife, glue, etc... Kind of like the Amazing Race... the Amazing (no shop) $20 DIY Speaker Challenge. Needs its own thread? If there is enough interest I will start the new thread.

Actually, I have 3 sets that I think would work well in the Cornus.
A 6.5" woofer for maybe a 40" or larger.
A 6.5" FR with an inverted surround and an awesome vocal presence.
A 4" Eastech FR recently acquired that might go well in something smaller.

Is that a new cornu you're talking about? :D

I put the 24inch FE103en on the wall today, the sound is awesome. But not a lot of bass and no giggling. Now i also did some measurements for a 36 inch pair and those are huge :eek: So i can either make them smaller or just go for the big ones and risk not being able to use them because of the poor WAF...

I agree the 36 is large. Ok, it's ******* huge!

Yes, for the 6.5" I am thinking of doing a 42 or even a 48 so there's no wastage of the Sure-Ply. :D

The 103 isn't a bassy driver but I am wondering if there's a little too much stuffing in yours? Tell us again how you stuffed it.

I messed about with some sheep wool for stuffing, but it didn't improve the sound quality. So in the end i decided they sounded best without any, perhaps i could try again now they have a proper place on the wall. I knew the FE didnt have much bass, but i think you said the ff wk had to much bass right? :)

Btw at what height is everyone hanging them? I read that daniel recommends hanging them closer to the ceiling for more bass. Mine have the center at 1,6m from the floor on a 2.6M heigh wall.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I messed about with some sheep wool for stuffing, but it didn't improve the sound quality. So in the end i decided they sounded best without any, perhaps i could try again now they have a proper place on the wall. I knew the FE didnt have much bass, but i think you said the ff wk had to much bass right? :)

Btw at what height is everyone hanging them? I read that daniel recommends hanging them closer to the ceiling for more bass. Mine have the center at 1,6m from the floor on a 2.6M heigh wall.

Sims show optimal height at 1.4 m for less floor induced cancellation. 1.6m is close but it makes a difference - experiment with it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here's something that might help people who go this way. Cal's suggestions made construction so much faster and also cheaper. That Alex Plus caulk is way cheaper than hot glue.

https://vimeo.com/95569762

Many thanks to both Cal and X, you've been both an inspiration and great help!

Iko,
Thanks for the great instructional video! I did exactly this when I was low on hot melt glue sticks. I used PVA though instead of caulking. You are pretty handy with the scoring and curving and gluing now:)