Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

OK, I just grabbed a pair of headphones and compared the Proclaimers song on YouTube
This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNlMtqrYS0&feature=kp

with my video and I must say there is no comparison. In person, the speakers sound like their video. What I hear on my video is horrible in comparison. Maybe I'm being picky and maybe I should 'adjust' my hearing to compensate but there's no way of getting an idea what the Cornu's sound like from the video I shot. No way, no how, no sir!

I am wondering if I can use some real gear, record it and them post a music clip somewhere. Can I do that? Tell me how.

i'm not an expert but imho it's very dependent on what you're using to play it back. The first 30 seconds i do prefer the sound of your movie over the youtube one, after that you start moving around which gives some strange sound effects.

The plan i had was to make a reference first on another speaker and then play the same recording on the cornu, i think that will give better impression of what it sounds like.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
Do you have a good digital audio recorder like a Zoom or something like that with an XY mic? Your video sounds best at first wherever you were standing and then degrades as you move around. I know it can't sound as good as being there but gives us a sense. Position of mic has a lot to do with it. I use a stereo zoom recorder at 96khz and 24bit wav. Then I convert it to either flac or mp3 at 256kbit. Then you trim it to fit under 963kB limit on diyAudio. Covert the mp3 file to zip and upload.

If you have a good mic connect it to a ADC to USB and record that way. Use a music editing program like Audacity to trim, adjust levels, and convert to flac or mp3.

I don't know what Zoom is nor what an XY mic is.
Nor ADC nor Audacity.

I'm beginning to think it would be easier to send you a plane ticket and have you describe the sound to everyone.

The mic I have is not bad. It's rather heavy and IIRC it cost around $70? But it is XLR so I'd have to run it through the mixer? That way I could use the RCA outs.

Ah who am I kidding. Took me the better part of a day to figure out how to upload a video. :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,

Zoom recorder with XY mic (mic looks like an X mount) to give better stereo separation and imaging. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CQ2ZY6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1400018727&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

$99 version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QKBVYK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1400018975&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Audacity is free non linear audio editing software. You can probably use Apple equivalent.

ADC - seriously Cal, analog to digital converter.

Keep doing your Vimeo video - I am good with it just stand still at sweet spot when recording. :)

Flying out to beautiful BC wouldn't be bad either but I think buying a zoom is cheaper :D

Hey that zoom thing looks really cool.
I'm sure I could use an Apple equivalent, I could ask Dave about that I assume.
ADC - Is that the same as a DAC?
I will try again with the iPad this time, maybe tomorrow, I'm already in overload mode.
Hey, if you come out here, give us a little warning, I get the BBQ heating.

Would I use the Zoom thing for anything other than doing this?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey that zoom thing looks really cool.
I'm sure I could use an Apple equivalent, I could ask Dave about that I assume.
ADC - Is that the same as a DAC?
I will try again with the iPad this time, maybe tomorrow, I'm already in overload mode.
Hey, if you come out here, give us a little warning, I get the BBQ heating.

Would I use the Zoom thing for anything other than doing this?

Bootleg recordings at concerts. I use it to record nature sounds like birds, interviews - sounds like you are there when you listen again. If you play a musical instrument or go to watch performances it is handy. I am glad I have mine.

ADC is same as DAC except the other direction. Waves to bits vs bits to waves.

Yep, the Zoom is cool. Good sound recording and portable.

Your XLR mic would do well in the house, like you mentioned, connected to your mixer, then RCA out to a 3.5mm headphone plug and finally into your iMac.

I use a Blue Yeti for quick recordings, pretty good sound quality, I can select different patterns to "listen to", from cardiod (only the front), stereo or omni (360). It has a USB connection, so it goes directly into the Mac. Not as portable as the Zoom, of course.

I used the Yeti for my recording of my arrays in my thread. Still like you said, it is not exactly the same as being in the room, but it gives some kind of idea.

Here's the post, should you want to listen to a recording with a better mic:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...e-array-line-source-build-22.html#post3925236

Hey Cal, you posted on my thread, but I can't see it ... Strange.

Yes, the recording was made with the Yeti, in stereo mode. That's why I get a left/right recording/imaging. I'm always surprised how "headphones-like" the arrays sound.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to Cornu!
Can't wait to hear yours with a better mic.

Don't leave me hanging like that!
You say it was a good recording, but what did you think of the speakers!?

It's my first real speaker build (well, I did do a sub before, but nothing like this) and I'm dying for someone to tell me if it sounds ok or if I'm way off! They sound pretty good to my ears, but if others involved in the speaker construction/hobby could tell me good or bad, it would help me a lot!

Here I go again, I hijacked the Cornu.
I still have my test Cornu box I did, but I am not using it. The foamcore I have here is too thin, and to get some of the good stuff, I'd have to drive 3 hours away.

Well fellow Cornusters the time has come. Just like Puff, the Cornucopyas will sadly slip into their cave for alas, another newer and fresher toy has graced my doorstep.

I've had a set of Large Advent boxes that were missing the woofs and because we have a good community here somewhere out of the blue, a member just up and offered me a set of newly refoamed units. I have installed them and must say now I know what all the fuss is about. These are a great little speaker. No wonder there are heralded to this day.

I was about to hit submit and I swear, I'm not lying, Puff the Magic Dragon just came on. I have it on shuffle and out of 800 songs...

Holy crap, this is giving me the chills.

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket.

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 360
Holy crap, this is giving me the chills.

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket.

Hey, nice vertical blinds, we have very similar ones in all our windows in our flat.

On topic, i want to try building a large Cornucopya for some Seas P17REX 6.5" woofers i have that just aren't getting any use right now. Not quite full range, but i remember them sounding fairly OK running full-range when i tried them.

If i understand correctly the specific design is the same, save for smooth corners or slightly more bent, and scaled up for larger drivers? I have access to lots of free thin ply at work, going to do some tests to see how well it bends. Not seen the foam core cardboard around my parts yet.

You reckon it's worth it with a regular ol' woofer? Was thinking of going for the 100 cm version, as long as i can get the finish in glossy white my WAF will be 98-100%. That's calculated AFTER the build naturally. WAF is proportional to the build completion percentage, usually.

Last edited:
I would love to see these things get bigger. The 36" is sure good for the 5.25" so I would think the 1m would be perhaps a little undersized for a 6.5"? Not sure, just guessing, X will be along soon and can set us straight. I would think a full 48" or 122mm would be the cat's meow. I am also really interested in knowing how bendy your ply is. The foam is so good to work with and doesn't seem to be a detriment to the project. I am sure you can find it. It must be used in behind paintings and photos like it is here.