Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

post1320 thanks for the answer xrk971. in order to achieve a 1" throat I will have to remove the first 2" of the spiral. this will enlarge the chamber and shorten the length of spiral. Do not think this will effect much but I am no pro. what do you think?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
post1320 thanks for the answer xrk971. in order to achieve a 1" throat I will have to remove the first 2" of the spiral. this will enlarge the chamber and shorten the length of spiral. Do not think this will effect much but I am no pro. what do you think?

No, you do not have to have a 1 inch throat - that was just my back of the envelope estimate of what the throat width is. As I recall, the full scale Cornu (27.6 in) has a throat of 1.2 in and scaled x 22/27.6=0.96 in. If you can get the driver to fit in the chamber then build it as is, no trimming of spiral needed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Cal,

Unfortunately the only foam board that I've come across is the 'deluxe' type with the heavier smoother/plasticky facing :(

The only other option would be Depron, which is XPS foam used for RC model building.

The thicker faced paper can work just fine. I have used it and it just requires more pressure with a knife when scoring the lines for the bends. It makes a very sturdy baffle though - feels much more solid than the cheap dollar store stuff. Go for it! :)

The TC9FD's are on the way from Germany :D

Now I just need to source a glue gun and get the foam board.

Out of interest how many glue sticks did it take you guys to build your spirals?

Toolstation do 100 sticks for £4.50.. a REALLY nice glue gun for £22 http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Professional+Glue+Gun/p29000

and a craft knife hobby kit for £11 :) 51 pieces ..
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hobby+Knife+Set/p58235

.. I'm in Chelmsford .. Hobbycraft do 3 A1 sheets for £8 too..

They also do this glue gun http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hot+Melt+Glue+Gun/p24076

Last edited:
Toolstation do 100 sticks for £4.50.. a REALLY nice glue gun for £22 Toolstation > Hand Tools > Carpenters Tools > Professional Glue Gun

and a craft knife hobby kit for £11 :) 51 pieces ..
Toolstation > Hand Tools > Knives & Blades > Hobby Knife Set

.. I'm in Chelmsford .. Hobbycraft do 3 A1 sheets for £8 too..

They also do this glue gun Toolstation > Hand Tools > Carpenters Tools > Hot Melt Glue Gun

Thanks for the info, I've sourced a gun and glue courtesy of Amazon. Much as the tool station gun is nice I can't justify £22 on a tool for a budget build. Maybe if the foam core addiction kicks off I'll upgrade :D

As I mentioned earlier the local art shop does ~A0 sheets of foam core for £6.50. So I'm going to source it there as I can pick and choose the sheets to get the best edges and it saves on delivery charges or a car journey to the nearest Hobbycraft.

I've also sourced a local printing company who can print out the 20" spiral templates for a few quid to save me having to stitch several print outs together.

Speaking of the templates, my next question is how was everyone transferring the design to their foam board? I think I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread that Cal was using a pin to put marks on the board from his template.

I was thinking of gluing the printed templates directly to the board and then working on top of them.

The TC9FD's arrived today :D

Got the templates printed and trimmed to size. The foam board is in the spare room. Just waiting impatiently for the glue gun and glue to arrive, it's taken Amazon 4 days to dispatch items that were in stock :(

Looking at the driver dimensions and the template, I was wondering do you need to remove some of the first part of the inner spirals to allow room for the driver?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Looking at the driver dimensions and the template, I was wondering do you need to remove some of the first part of the inner spirals to allow room for the driver?

No, it should fit just fine in a 20 in Cornu with the stock plan scaled to size. If you find that it is tight, trimming a few cm's off the passage is not a big deal - you will lose bass extension proportional to distance reduced.