Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Ok...have now read the thread in its entirety...almost feel like I know a few of you personally now!

In the early stages of this thread, someone (I believe Cal) talked about utilizing a Radio Shack 40-1354. Has anyone run with this? I know it is much larger than the typical micro-speakers but I have six of them (4 NIB) and have tried them in other kinds of horns that have worked well...

Unfortunately, everything I have is MAC so none of the design programs are available to me any more. Hence, has anyone looked into these? I just got back from the Dollar Tree and now have ten sheets of 20" x 30" that are screaming at me to be cut on...any help would be appreciated!

Alright another prisoner. I think it's a better term than addict. At least you have a chance of escaping an addiction. This foam stuff is like a vacuum, it's just keeps sucking them up.

Glad to have you onboard there mcm.

Yes, I thought about the 1354's. They currently reside as the wide range for my main TV. I use some woofers and tweeters with them but the bulk of the octaves are carried by the 1354's so I'm not sure I want to remove them to experiment, they seem quite happy where they are. :)

I wonder if they might require a cabinet so large that they might be cumbersome. I think you'd want a 32" - 36" square but maybe X can chime in here.

I love the 1354's. When RS discontinued them back in 2001, I went to just about every RS in Detroit and bought all they had. I think at one point I had fourty of them or so. I have small ported enclosures in my garage, a simple folded voigt that I gave to a friend, a bi-pole ML-TQWP with the RS/Fostex Horn Tweeter mounted firing up, and even a pair of sealed that I think I will pull out and use for this project if it will work ok.

I could order a pair of 3" speakers to give it a shot, but would love to see what these could do (maybe with addition of a 3/4" textile tweet w/1.0uF?) Getting every last ounce of bass out of these has been a goal of mine....never thought I might be able to rattle windows with them!

I didn't notice you were still in moderation so you're now free to roam with the rest of the buffalo.

3"? I only recommend those for your daughter. They are not manly enough for this crowd. Maybe you could do the 1354's but let's wait and see what Grand Poobah has to say. He can't stay away from this thread for long, if fact his ears are probably burning as we type. 32" is reasonable, if you have to go to 36" I think that's a bit much. You could make them deeper but isn't the point of these to be wall mounted?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Get a smaller driver if that is an issue. A 3 in driver will let you make a 20 inch x 3.5 in deep one. I agree that 34 x 34 in is a lot of baffle, nearly 9 square ft. You might be able to get away with a 30 in but you will have customize the pattern to fit the driver in the chamber.
Good luck.

A 1354 can also be used to make a FIB (flattened BIB) for a wall mount too.

I was thinking about building a line array with them, and this might be the bomb in testing one out prior to ordering 24 of them. I have an older adcom amp (100wpc?) that I run through my laptop...it should power these nicely. Might even blow em up!

Does the Q of .89 freak you out putting it in a horn (other than the obvious low sensitivity)? Would be great in an OB Line Array though...

Drivers ordered....and now they are on backorder....ugh....

I have not read of any catastrophe's regarding folks building their enclosures prior to receiving the drivers.... Is there something I am missing? My thoughts were, that I could build everything but cutting out the hole for the front panel (3.25" opening). Does a hole saw in the foam board cut easily after it is put together?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was thinking about building a line array with them, and this might be the bomb in testing one out prior to ordering 24 of them. I have an older adcom amp (100wpc?) that I run through my laptop...it should power these nicely. Might even blow em up!

Does the Q of .89 freak you out putting it in a horn (other than the obvious low sensitivity)? Would be great in an OB Line Array though...

Don't worry about the high Qts of 0.89 for the Cornu. My favorite driver is the Vifa TC9FD and it has the identical Qts value and works great in a Cornu and other BLH's despite the Qts being high. It also makes it a great candidate for a MLTL with ability to hit bass much lower than the fs. You can probably get 50 Hz easy in a MLTL. Check out my Accidental MLTL thread or just build a TABAQ in the TABQ thread. Purists will sneer but hey it works!