Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal & XRK,

I'm getting ready to start a pair of Cornucopya's with the Altec Lansing 405A drivers I have. Near as I can tell, the 405A is close to the same size as the FF125wk, although when I measure the cone, it looks to me like 8.5 cm dia. pistonic size, or an S(d) = 57 cm**2, compared to the FF125wk spec of S(d)= 66.5 cm**2.

When I plotted the spiral (which Cal appears to have used at the start of this thread) for a 27" horn, I find a CC measuring 4.5" x 5" with throats about 17mm wide. If I use a channel depth of 5", this comes out to 43 cm**2 total for the two throats.

How do I get the total throat area up closer to S(d) which IIRC is what you recommend? Shrink the CC a bit?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,
There are several ways to expand the throat area: custom draw the channels to have a wider throat if you want to keep external dimensions the same; increase depth of channel, or grow whole cabinet. Note that some compression is ok, if ratio of throat area to Sd is greater than 75%, it's probably ok. For low Qts, high Bl drivers with low xmax, you might want more compression to load driver and reduce excursion. It should be modeled - a simple model in HornResp with a conical horn for first section to exponential horn near mouth wirh
appropriate dimensions for driver chamber will tell you a lot about excursion of cone.

If you are using the plan from planet10's pdf diagram, I think the the throat width is 0.9 in for the 27.6 in cornu. That is 2.3 cm wide not 17 mm wide. This gives a throat area of about 57 cm^2 for a 5 in deep channel. This about a perfect match for your driver if you wanted no compression. You could probably go as thin as 4 in and be ok.

What are the T/S params for your Altec driver?

Good luck!

Xrk971

Closet door stereo ;)

Attachments

• closet door.jpg
    closet door.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 757
I was wondering what a Cornu horn would look like if we were to actually use the true Cornu function which is also known as a clothoid. ...

Nice work. Did you notice something something pretty significant? The resulting horns closely follow an exponential length/area law. You can model single-spiral (divided 4 ways) Cornu horns in Hornresp using a single exponential section, and the multi-length horns like the one in your post in AkAbak. I'll modify (simplify) my AkAbak model accordingly.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work. Did you notice something something pretty significant? The resulting horns closely follow an exponential length/area law. You can model single-spiral (divided 4 ways) Cornu horns in Hornresp using a single exponential section, and the multi-length horns like the one in your post in AkAbak. I'll modify (simplify) my AkAbak model accordingly.

Don,
I have re-spun the cornu generator to make a reasonably sized horn than I can build: 24 in x 3.5 in deep, driver chamber cross sectional area of 148 cm^2, chamber volume of 1312 cm^2, channel lengths of 147 cm and 104 cm long, the throat cross sectional area (both) is 31.3 cm^2 - which will provide a mild level of compression for the TC9FD Sd of 36.4 cm^2. The horn mouth area is 2168 cm^2 I am still doing the bifurcation. See attached plan. I did a simplistic sim in HR for each horn independently and then combined them after the fact to see if the bumps and valleys help cancel out. I still plan to to use the TC9FD with this. I am still unclear how to specify the channel width as function of distance in Akabak for the true cornu. Thanks for trying this in Akabak.
Regards,
Xrk971

Attachments

• true-cornu-24x3p5-plan.png
    true-cornu-24x3p5-plan.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 877
  • true-cornu-tc9fd-24x3p5-HR-sim.png
    true-cornu-tc9fd-24x3p5-HR-sim.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 860
Jim,
There are several ways to expand the throat area: custom draw the channels to have a wider throat if you want to keep external dimensions the same; increase depth of channel, or grow whole cabinet. Note that some compression is ok, if ratio of throat area to Sd is greater than 75%, it's probably ok. For low Qts, high Bl drivers with low xmax, you might want more compression to load driver and reduce excursion. It should be modeled - a simple model in HornResp with a conical horn for first section to exponential horn near mouth wirh
appropriate dimensions for driver chamber will tell you a lot about excursion of cone.

If you are using the plan from planet10's pdf diagram, I think the the throat width is 0.9 in for the 27.6 in cornu. That is 2.3 cm wide not 17 mm wide. This gives a throat area of about 57 cm^2 for a 5 in deep channel. This about a perfect match for your driver if you wanted no compression. You could probably go as thin as 4 in and be ok.

What are the T/S params for your Altec driver?

Good luck!

Xrk971

Thanks Xrk971!

All I know about the Altec 405A is what I found on the Altec site--which is nearly useless. And I haven't the tools to measure the T/S parameters. Which is why I want to try a quick, inexpensive, flexible design.

Cheers, Jim

Attachments

• 405A_ceilingspkr_spec_sheet.pdf
    709.1 KB · Views: 153
What are the LG's?

Short of pulling them out this seems to be the only pic I have of them. They were originally used as tweeters in the 'Toolbox' as it is similar to a FAST system.

Don't let my wife see this pic or I'm in trouble. I tell her I always cover the table.

Attachments

• IMG_7346a.jpg
    IMG_7346a.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 819