Total newbie needs direction & suggestions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 03:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Total newbie needs direction & suggestions...

Hey guys,
I'm VERY new here and am looking for some direction regarding my next endeavor. I'd like to build my own speakers but once I started doing the research on "DIY Speakers", I found myself more confused than when I started. I honestly had no clue that folded horns and compression drivers were even used in residential systems which is what I'd like to build the speakers for - both for musical listening and HT. Currently, I have a BOSE acoustimass 6 set up (stop lauging) but it sounds "good". I have the skill set and tools to build pretty much whatever I'd need to but don't know which way to go. The room for which I'll be building my system is just shy of 400 square feet nearly 20' x 20' (almost a perfect square) with an 8 foot ceiling. I have a standard, chip-type amplifier which is an old-school Yamaha Natural Sound with 85 Watts per channel. What types of enclosures would yield me concert level mid-bass? I would also like a suggestion on a DIY sub as I will be using this set up for HT as well. I plan on getting a separate sub amp to drive it. I'm hoping to keep the cost for the drivers and materials at or below $1000 not including the sub amp. Any thoughts??? Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks for ANY and ALL suggestions!
Pete
Old 12th December 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Shot in the Dark

Follow ALL advice you get from chrisb and planet10.
Go for an all-Mark-Audio HT setup.
  • Alpair 7.3 LCR front row in mid size cabinets
  • Alpair 6m rear and surrounds in small cabinets
  • Stereo sealed and powered subs under the mains w/ good Peerless woofers

Old 12th December 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Have you thought about TQWP speakers, they sound great and are cheap to make?
Mac

http://novelbooks.weebly.com/camm-dy...dspeakers.html

Last edited by balerit; 12th December 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

20' x 20' with concert level mid-bass ?

lol, you will need to move some serious air between 100hz - 200hz.
The kick you type of bass, percussive explosions, not tanks rumbling.
I'd check out the 15"+ econowave design popular over on the multi-way forum here.

Norman
Old 14th December 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the TABAQ transmission line thread. You won't get concert knock your chest bass, but it is a great design for begining project.

TABAQ TL for Tang Band
Old 14th December 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info everyone... I think I need to start with finding DIY plans for single driver, 12 or 15 inch midbass horns - smaller than that I don't think will satisfy my midbass desires i can then top them with compression drivers for upper-mid and higher. suggestions where to find plans with reviews? Anticipated specs are nice, but real "ear testing" by those that built and are using 'em would be better.

Thanks all!!!
Old 14th December 2012, 10:49 PM   #7
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a pair of Altec A7 VOTs way, way back when and was quite pleased with how they came out tho I don't know what I would think if I saw them now. Crossed over at 500hz to the compression driver they will do what you want and more but they are huge and the WAF is near zero, Also need a sub. 5 watts will drive you out of the house. Executed well they are thrilling. Plans should be easily found although I haven't tried.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:18 AM   #8
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete872 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone... I think I need to start with finding DIY plans for single driver, 12 or 15 inch midbass horns - smaller than that I don't think will satisfy my midbass desires i can then top them with compression drivers for upper-mid and higher. suggestions where to find plans with reviews? Anticipated specs are nice, but real "ear testing" by those that built and are using 'em would be better.

Thanks all!!!
You might be surprised what you'll get from one of the MarkAudio drivers in the appropriate enclosure. Finding a 12 or 15 inch driver that will give you a good full-range sound will be very expensive, if not next to impossible. The Alpair 10 has a reputation as having very good full range sound, including the mid-bass region.
Mike
Old 15th December 2012, 03:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I cobbled up a design for a super sensitive Two way for tube , low power application. An eighteen inch driver, mated to a two inch driver, horn loaded.
The 18 runs at 97 Db, the horn at 107. 10.5 cubic feet, two six inch, 4.25 long ports. F3 at 38 Hz. The two inch horn loaded driver with a 18 inch by 10 inch horn. With one inch MDF it comes out to 22.856 inches wide, 28.277 inches deep, by 35.106 inches high.

Your eighty-five watts will get it at the 115 Db for concert levels...but just.

PE part # 264-226, 299-420,270-204.............

The crossover will need some software to get it just right.

__________________________________________________ _________Rick.......

Hide this!Advertise here!