F126En BLH Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I bought a pair of FE126En drivers to play with.

I boutht these to experiment with my open baffles, were I am using them togheter with my Eminence Omega 18 pro woofers. But I can't resist using this oportunity to try also a good BLH.

What would be the most suitable BLH enclosure for these drivers?

I am not familiar with the design of BLH or Transmision lines so any comment will be really apretiated.

Best,
Carlos

Hello,

I bought a pair of FE126En drivers to play with.

I boutht these to experiment with my open baffles, were I am using them togheter with my Eminence Omega 18 pro woofers. But I can't resist using this oportunity to try also a good BLH.

What would be the most suitable BLH enclosure for these drivers?

I am not familiar with the design of BLH or Transmision lines so any comment will be really apretiated.

Best,
Carlos

"most suitable", "best" are very subjective - there are always compromises, and questions of "suitable" to available space, placement etc

That said, I've heard the current an earlier versions of this driver in at least 6 different BLH variants, and my 2 candidates would be FH3 for a compact enclosure, and the Woden Valiant if height is not a constraint.

It's been my experience that when operated over its full potential bandwidth, this driver definitely benefits from a corner/boundary loaded rear mouth horn such as envisioned for either of the above named designs- both of which I'd be comfortable describing as "competent".

disclosure: see signature line below

Thanks Chris,
My current Open Baffle is the size of a door, and I live in a small apartment so lots of builds will calify as convenient. Power will be valvular and an ultra low power single ended is coming home.
My music room looks like a workshop so I guess sound quality is the mos important factor to me.

My current speakers are DIY Open Baffle with Saba greencones and a 18 inches drivers. I've been with those for almost two years, very charming sound but I think I need more detail to go on in my journey of sound. I was told these Fe126 are superb in the mid high regions.

Now I am walking to work but I will take a look at your suggestions. Thanks!

Last night I also was looking another post suggesting Austin 126 as a preference, Also the frugal horn was suggested.

I ll be back with more questions. Best.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris,
My current Open Baffle is the size of a door, and I live in a small apartment so lots of builds will calify as convenient. Power will be valvular and an ultra low power single ended is coming home.
My music room looks like a workshop so I guess sound quality is the mos important factor to me.

My current speakers are DIY Open Baffle with Saba greencones and a 18 inches drivers. I've been with those for almost two years, very charming sound but I think I need more detail to go on in my journey of sound. I was told these Fe126 are superb in the mid high regions.

Now I am walking to work but I will take a look at your suggestions. Thanks!

Last night I also was looking another post suggesting Austin 126 as a preference, Also the frugal horn was suggested.

I ll be back with more questions. Best.

Well, let's assume from your first post that you've listened enough to the 126s to satisfy yourself with their suitability in the "mid -high regions" , rather than depending on recommendations on internet forums such as this.

I'm familiar with the Austin 126 as well, and certainly should have included it in the short list earlier - but to anticipate the next question, haven't had the opportunity to directly compare it to either of the others.

I haven't listened to it yet. This is my first Fostex driver to play arround with enclosures and it was the best informed choice I could make.

Before, I have listened to FX120 in a transmision line.
Also to another back loaded horn of more inches (can't remember which one) in one of the suggested Fostex/Madisound enclosures and I really liked it and I recognized the Fostex timbre and detail of the fx120.

I choose this drive for its high sensitivity (for the inches) and because some friends commented that drives of this size are superb with mid-highs.

One experiment will be to test them in an Open Baffle with Woofer support. But also and not less important, I want to find a good BLH enclosure te test them as a full range. I understand that I won't get a lot of bass here.

Amplifier is going to be a compatible 71A/45/2a3 single ended.

This is the Madisound suggestion:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=13b8aa6ef73dda71&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3D2be6a40898%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13b8aa6ef73dda71%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26realattid%3Df_hal7exo70%26zw&sig=AHIEtbS9QzUewkmGusBixlqOXboGHyiHCw

Frugel Horn Mk3 looks like a good starting point:
http://www.frugal-horn.com/FH3.html
this looks like a model that has gone trhough lots of experimentation and improvements.

The Frugal-Horn Saburo was the best of probably five designs I built for the 126e. Bigger is certainly going to be better in terms of image scale and bass depth/authority, in my experience.. :D

Thanks Cervelorider, that is a good point. I just have built Open Baffles so is is my first enclosure that doesnt look like a door. Size is not important because anything will be smaller than the OBs and will be welcomed if I put the OB in storage. Things as image, bass and authority are things that I am very interested in, just not sure how to get them with an enclosure. Thank you so much.

The Frugal-Horn Saburo was the best of probably five designs I built for the 126e. Bigger is certainly going to be better in terms of image scale and bass depth/authority, in my experience.. :D

I took a look at some Saburo photos on the Web. They look impresive, looks like an easy build because of no cuts with angles. still I don't know if you can consider them beautiful. Do you still have them ?

Perdon my ignorance, but Can you put them closer to the wall? since the horn points foreward, I can't think of an issue if there is no space between the rear wall and the speakers.
Maybe if they are touching the wall, they could work in my TV room, also, white painting could help minimizing his size in the room.

Last edited:
I took a look at some Saburo photos on the Web. They look impresive, looks like an easy build because of no cuts with angles. still I don't know if you can consider them beautiful. Do you still have them ?

Perdon my ignorance, but Can you put them closer to the wall? since the horn points foreward, I can't think of an issue if there is no space between the rear wall and the speakers.
Maybe if they are touching the wall, they could work in my TV room, also, white painting could help minimizing his size in the room.

I can't see why not - note there are more recent BVR / Olson Manifold designs than the original Saburo ( Kongo for FE126E)
The Spawn Family of Double Horns

Thanks Gents,
There is lot of diversity in the designs.
I just need to figure out where to start. :)

I need some meditation time :)

you're still clinging to the delusion that you'll only be building one pair? ;)

all snark aside, it may take a couple of different approaches to find the most comfortable compromise

The FE126E and FX120 are quite different drivers in more ways than just their enclosure requirements, so if you've not yet listened to the 126, don't be surprised by the pronounced differences in tonal balance and dynamics.

Thanks Chris,
To be honest I liked the fx120 transmision lines of a friend of mine, but I wasn't in love with them, they had more detail than my saba greencone open baffles, but didn't sounded big.

So basically I am trying to solve the detail issue with my saba greencones. There has to be something better :) that is for sure.

I like when speakers sound big, with dynamics and big soundstage.
I don't know if I can get this with fostex, or with a 4 inches driver. I haven't been there but I guess I only can experiment and see what I find there.

I don't mind building a few enclosures in the name of sound :)

About Cornu Spirals, do you think guys they can produce big sound? or are just a solution for people with not enough space for proper speakers? hard to tell to me...

Best,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.