FAST-ish enclosure help. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2012, 05:02 PM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
I do understand that, I'm not entirely sure how this fits in with my question tho, sorry.
It doesn't seem so since the fundamental [low] frequency is the 'foundation' of all sound.

Historically then, the bass BW reproducer is designed first, then the mids, HF. If a true sub system is used, then this is the foundation.

That said, I keep forgetting that around here the wide BW driver is typically chosen first, then any bass, HF augmentation is tacked on.

Fortunately, the woofer, [super] tweeter selection is so large nowadays that given time one should be able to find a close enough fit or at least one that can be blended with a custom XO that now can be easily designed using either software or adjustable digital XO.

GM
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i've seen Planet10's FAST system's with side mounted woofers, can this work with any woofer and design?
Ideally only if the woofer[s] acoustical center[s] are < 1/4 WL away from the XO's -12 dB point, so the higher the slope order, the greater the mounting gap can be.

Since our hearing acuity dramatically degrades down low, many folks can tolerate up to 1 WL away, so it depends on the person's hearing and the room's acoustical conditions that will set the max acceptable offset.

GM
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
if this is the sim for the above design, would the sealed plot work well enough to cross to the bass units?
Yes, though you'll probably need an adjustable digital XO to dial it in if you don't have measured in room responses to plug into a computer program.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!