need help with a full range system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i'm new here and don't really know much about the technicalities of audio equipment but i know what i like to hear.

the problem i have is this:

i have just bought the Logitech Z906 speaker system for my PC setup.

the problem i have is that although they sound very nice and rich, they severely lack high end, they are all bass and mid.

i think the reason for this is that they are full range speakers (the satellites) i got this information from here:

Logitech Z906 review – english version - Sound News

is there any way i can fix this problem?

up to now i have put binding posts on the satellites and i am using AWG14 cables with banana plugs to improve the signal quality (which has made a slight improvement)

my questions are as follows:

1. will it be beneficial to fill the enclosures of the satellite speakers with some kind of cabinet filling?
  2. is there any way i can add a tweeter and crossover to these speakers to improve the high end sound output?

i would of course not put the tweeters in the same enclosure as the current "full range" speakers as i would not want to butcher them to that extent, instead i would use the tweeters externally and cable into the existing enclosures.

sorry for so many questions and such a long post, i'm not even sure i have posted this in the right section, but any help will be very gratefully appreciated.

thanks for any help in advance

Gethin

Hi,
nice piece of high-tech gear you have.
I'm more towards old style two-channels (ooold ?:mad: )
and discretes instead of fully integrated ( and high scale integration)
with chips and many more things.
Some say that 'less is better'.
It is also known that the sound is made by the system, which includes
also the room.
So you are experiencing problems with energy irradiation of the treble;
a 2.5/3" speaker is likely to reproduce them fairly good, maybe till
16 KHz and not more. Behind the speakers I see a 4 channel class D
amplifier, and behind it a lot of sound processing.
Once you buy the thing, you are allowed to use the whole thing only,
otherwise you would have bought many components.
Try to swap the speakers to another stereo chain and make sure that
the issues are addressed to a particular part....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
i think the reason for this is that they are full range speakers (the satellites) i got this information from here:

That reviewer suggestion that a 2-way would be better in a system like this clearly doesn't really know his stuff.

Lack of high end is not a general fault of the FR, perhaps these specific ones, but with a 3" FR you have to work really hard to kill the top end -- granted the budget for the drivers in the satelittes for a system that costs this littleis likely under $3 FOB the factory, but there are some very highly regarded drivers (deservedly) at not much more (buying a 1000 drivers FOB china is quite a different proposition than buying a pair from Wilmslow). More likely the amps or the source. Or logitech purposely voiced these with a soft top end... perhaps so they wouldn't show how bad typical MP3s are.

What do they sound like hooked up to a better amp/system.

One other question -- did you buy these without listening to them?

dave

I do wonder if the OP's opinion on these speakers is swayed by that of the reviewer (whose reference speakers are a set of budget-end Wharfedales).

I also wonder (as Dave speculated) if Logitech has added some eq. It looks like the majority of the circuitry is digital, so the eq would be very easy to implement.

i can try to run the speakers on a different amp, i think i have a marantz amp in the garage, i'll dig it out tomorrow and have a play with them and see if the high end response is any better, but atm the system us just all bass and mid range with very little treble at all, the bass and mid sound great it's nice a clean and clear but the lack of treble drags the whole experience down, i think if i can get the treble sorted it will sound lovely (for the price)

as i said i'll hook them up to the marantz tomorrow and see how they sound, but a lot of the things you guys were saying previously really didn't mean anything to me at all, i'm a real novice and don't know the jargon

thanks for your replies up to now, i'll post back again tomorrow after the test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.