A dream of mine - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Frank40 is offline Frank40  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default A dream of mine

Have you ever considered to make your own full range unit. I can't let it be..... I have to try it and if any of you have the same idea, let us make a thread to share knowledge and ideas. I have ordered some voice coils, suspensions and the right glue today. My first idea is to make a bending wave unit, I will get back with some drawing later.

Please let me know what you think......
Old 6th December 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is some of my ideas.... The membrane is made of depron a very light weight material and easy to work with, the weight for a 6 membrane is only 2,4g.

I did some experiments on the suspension, and was amassed how much it effects the high frequency respond so I will try not to use one.

Any way here is some pic's of the membran. Any comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_342.jpg (122.4 KB, 730 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_343.jpg (124.1 KB, 717 views)
Old 6th December 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Is this just for fun? I used to make small electric motors and things like that but never wanted to make a driver.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Is this just for fun? I used to make small electric motors and things like that but never wanted to make a driver.
Cal,
You already know what I am going to suggest to use for the driver membrane/piston.... Paper-faced foam core board . I am only half kidding, I think it would work well as it is very stiff, is super light, has built-in damping, etc... In fact, I think there may be a company making speakers with it. There is a guy who made a speaker with a foam plate (see link), I think foam core board would work well. Depron is a closed-cell polystyrene foam (aka egg cartons). I think it would work well as driver, and in fact may be same material as foam plate used in link below.
Xrk971

Homemade Foam Plate Speaker - Hacked Gadgets – DIY Tech Blog

Last edited by xrk971; 6th December 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Here is some of my ideas.... The membrane is made of depron a very light weight material and easy to work with, the weight for a 6” membrane is only 2,4g.

I did some experiments on the suspension, and was amassed how much it effects the high frequency respond so I will try not to use one.

The material is a good choice for drivers - bond some strands of carbon fiber to it and it in a radial pattern with rings like spiders web and it will work better with more damping and stiffer for tiny mass added. You can't skip suspension. What will hold it in place and provide restoring force? The spider is what does this - it can be done via other means (springs, folded paper, etc) but needs to be there. Also, a surround is needed otherwise it is very inefficient as air between front and back simply gets stirred by the membrane as it leaks across edges - you won't have any bass. Try running an old speaker with deteriorated foam surrounds - all you get is mids and highs with bad efficiency. The surround also acts as suspension.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Here is some of my ideas.... The membrane is made of depron a very light weight material and easy to work with, the weight for a 6 membrane is only 2,4g.

That implies no suspension at all, including what we'd call a spider on the voice coil former. Without that or something like viscous ferrofluid I remember seeing used in tweeters , wouldn't you likely have issues with maintaining alignment of a linear oscillating motor, or for that matter controlling the inevitable flexing of diaphram?
I'd imagine the moving mass of the attached load is only one of the factors involved?
Old 15th December 2012, 03:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did some more experiments, I think this might just be possible.... I am now in the process of making it more easy to work with. Here is some pic's. Please feel free to coment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_344.jpg (771.6 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_345.jpg (655.9 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_346.jpg (744.3 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_347.jpg (754.6 KB, 251 views)
Old 15th December 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looks like you pulled apart an existing driver for voicecoil, magnet, etc as I see a spider, foam surround, etc. This could be a cool large area membrane speaker. I would add multiple voicecoils along large panel to boost spl. If you actively managed which coils were driven with multiple amps and dsp, you could do some cool effects and correct for distortion, etc. The single membrane could be a multiway but have phase coherence as the movements are all tied together. Looks fun.
Old 15th December 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Here's a stupid thought, but... how about a membrane made of feathers?
Old 15th December 2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Budgie is offline Budgie  United States
diyAudio Member

Reminds me of the Bertagni Electroacoustics speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!