I Feel Another Pair...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What about an Alpair 7.3? Is there something in the specs that makes it not suitable for the Cornucopya?

The smaller Alpair metal cones aren't as likely to have the same "issue" with bass extension in such an enclosure as the EL70 might. If the design topology is one that is "scalable" to larger drivers, I wouldn't say the same for the Alp10.2

The only other downside I can foresee with a wide baffle wall mount would be the inability to toe-in to correct for HF directivity at various listening positions . This was certainly an issue with a local hi-fi shop's otherwise quite decent sounding OEM 2-way. I still have a pair recycled from my sister's living room reno of a few years ago.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The smaller Alpair metal cones aren't as likely to have the same "issue" with bass extension in such an enclosure as the EL70 might. If the design topology is one that is "scalable" to larger drivers, I wouldn't say the same for the Alp10.2

The only other downside I can foresee with a wide baffle wall mount would be the inability to toe-in to correct for HF directivity at various listening positions . This was certainly an issue with a local hi-fi shop's otherwise quite decent sounding OEM 2-way. I still have a pair recycled from my sister's living room reno of a few years ago.

Rubber or foam "feet" of appropriately different lengths could be attached to all four corners to force the frame to optimal toe-in and/or "toe-down" (depending mounting height, distance, etc). This is all assuming that the "frame' is hung with a flexible apparatus such as wire strung between 2 side-mounted eye hooks. Some bass extension from wall reinforcement might be lost in the process of moving one edge away from the wall, but it might be gained back on the opposite side of the "frame".

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Update:

I have decided that Cornus are a bit much for me at this point and I have veered off back in the direction from whence I came.

I have been looking at various of the suggested designs and I am considering either Wessex or Winderemere^2 in MTM configuration using ERT-26 and DaveR's MTM EL70/ERT-26 crossover.

Anyone ever done a Wessex or Windermere MTM?

Also, which digs lower, Wessex or Windermere^2 ?

(Needless to say, these will not be gifted to my Dad if I build them.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.