diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Bookshelf with 2-3" wideband for tweeter (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/224897-bookshelf-2-3-wideband-tweeter.html)

Joel Wesseling 3rd December 2012 05:24 PM

Bookshelf with 2-3" wideband for tweeter
 
Looking to build a simple bookshelf sized speaker.. Small full range woofer and 2-3" wideband tweeter with one or two crossover components for the tweeter..

Nice amd simple Box.. No brainer, no work designing and already proven in DIY to be nicely balanced..

Thanks in advance, Joel

vinylkid58 3rd December 2012 05:57 PM

Any size constraints? Milli size box for the Mark Audio A6p works very well for the desktop/computer. Approx. 6.5" x 11.5" x 7" deep. No tweeter required.

jeff

sreten 3rd December 2012 07:54 PM

Hi,

With a small bass/mid you really don't need a wideband tweeter.

Very popular :

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...ightsensations

These are also good :

Zaph|Audio - 4" Bargain Mini and Zaph|Audio - ZMV5 - MCM / Vifa 5" System

rgds, sreten.

Though if you want to build with a wideband unit see
Platon Measurements
and of course Linkwitz's Pluto design, Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

planet10 3rd December 2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling (Post 3268753)
Looking to build a simple bookshelf sized speaker.. Small full range woofer and 2-3" wideband tweeter with one or two crossover components for the tweeter..

Something like this (the 2nd speaker) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post3268019, but with half as many woofers?

You will need to roll the midwoofer off with almost anything you choose.

dave

Joel Wesseling 3rd December 2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling (Post 3268753)
Looking to build a simple bookshelf sized speaker.. Small full range woofer and 2-3" wideband tweeter with one or two crossover components for the tweeter..

Nice amd simple Box.. No brainer, no work designing and already proven in DIY to be nicely balanced..

Thanks in advance, Joel

Thanks, some interesting ideas. I did listen to the Linkwitz Orion for an evening..

Sorry, I missed some important criteria.. Looking for speaker with no crossover except for minimal high pass for tweeter and prefer tweeter is 2-3" wideband in such a speaker is out there...

Box size is small and simple box..

But I'm open to all ideas as its fun to see all thats possible.

Joel

planet10 3rd December 2012 09:43 PM

A simple XO on the wideband is doable, but finding a small midwoofer that naturally rolls off low enuff to make using a 3" wideband (3:ers are almost universally superior to the 2") will be a huge, if not impossible, task.

You might as well just go with a good 4" FR.

dave

Joel Wesseling 3rd December 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 3269086)
A simple XO on the wideband is doable, but finding a small midwoofer that naturally rolls off low enuff to make using a 3" wideband (3:ers are almost universally superior to the 2") will be a huge, if not impossible, task.

You might as well just go with a good 4" FR.

dave

Thanks Dave.. 4" could be the way to go

I would love to have heard many 4" full range drivers but have listened to a few and a coax as well. Not tones of experience but the few small full range seemed recessed in the mids and treble from coax wasnt very organic or natural..

Any suggestion for a 4" full range that has wide open mids and organic treb
le.. Natural bass presentation as well..

I'm ok with sins of onission at the extremes..

Thanks

Melo theory 3rd December 2012 10:01 PM

Yeah, if you are going to use a wideband driver for a tweeter, it's because you want to cross low, correct?
Is so, you are going to have to do a proper 1st order x-over.
But that's no biggie....is it?

planet10 3rd December 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling (Post 3269116)
Any suggestion for a 4" full range that has wide open mids and organic treb
le.. Natural bass presentation as well..

Budget?

There are still a few EL70eN available, Alpair7.3 (tarted up or not). Fostex FF105wk is pretty good, we have it in a Woden double mouth BV-ML-V which extracts maximum bass, don't know how low they would go in a smaller box. FF125wk has proven itself (has a few issues, mostly treatable).

And Jeff mentioned Alpair 6.2p.

dave

xrk971 3rd December 2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling (Post 3269116)
Thanks Dave.. 4" could be the way to go

I would love to have heard many 4" full range drivers but have listened to a few and a coax as well. Not tones of experience but the few small full range seemed recessed in the mids and treble from coax wasnt very organic or natural..

Any suggestion for a 4" full range that has wide open mids and organic treb
le.. Natural bass presentation as well..

I'm ok with sins of onission at the extremes..

Thanks

I love the sound of the Vifa TC9FD 3.5 inch. Has good bass in tml or horn.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2