Bookshelf with 2-3" wideband for tweeter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 11:39 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Joel.

I think it is nearly impossible without going active. The only woofers that will naturally end at the low side of a wideband is a 12 inch subwoofer. You are not going to have fast bass. The tweeter will need a capacitor the size of a beer can if you are using. Film. Your coils would be of similar dimension.unless you use coils with inductors and electrolytics...

Oon

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 4th December 2012, 02:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'll keep looking then.. scrap the widebandTweeter idea.. Thanks

Do you know where I could find OEM service for a small fullrange design??

Joel
Old 4th December 2012, 03:24 PM   #13
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post

Do you know where I could find OEM service for a small fullrange design??

Joel
Hi Joel,

You from the tech industry?

By OEM service you mean a comapny who will design/build the speaker for you?
Old 4th December 2012, 06:30 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Hi Joel,

You from the tech industry?

By OEM service you mean a comapny who will design/build the speaker for you?

to refine the point of Zia's post - is it the driver for which you're looking for an OEM? if so, expect long lead times and minimum order requirements for anything that's not off the shelf.

OTOH, there are literally dozens of "proven" designs for DIYers easily found in these fora - either free for personal use or, since many are designed with the use of licensed software, by paid subscription for commercial purposes

as to particular recommendations for a 3-4" driver for near-field use, or with supporting woofers for small 2 way, the first that come to mind are Fostex FF85 or 105WK, and the Alpair 6 or CHR70.

as noted by others, in this size class it's a lot easier to find a suitable wide-band than a mid-woofer that will naturally roll of low enough to avoid filtering the wide-bander in the middle of the area in which they work so very well - so a full 2-way XO of some form would be in order.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

It's for a future venture idea with a friend.. He would like to own the design and I can build some cabinets for him..

Our OEM idea is for off the shelf drivers if possible in 2 way cabinet design..

My background is working as a Licensed line Maintenance Electrician at car company, college Electronics diploma as well..

Since I'm out of said industry now because it moved to mexico I can persue my real passion of all things Audio and Music

Anyway, it seems there has been designs with 2-3" wideband tweeter..

Maybe I'm missing something but shure like reading the comments..

Thanks, Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg technics.JPG (65.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 4th December 2012, 11:24 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The driver in the Technics is not a wide range, it is 2" cone tweeter. There have been some very good ones, but with the dominance of the dome these days they are VERY hard to find now. The XO in these was often a single cap on the tweeter, usually up around 4-10k .... a very different scenerio from what your original request was.

dave
Old 4th December 2012, 11:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Joel,

Don't get me wrong. It can be done. I have the alpair6 and the alpair5 and a few other drivers that would make excellent candidates. One challenge you will need to overcome is the use of large caps and inductors if you want to cross low. For caps one way to get around it is to use bipolar electrolytics. You will need a few hundred microfarad. You can use a small film cap to bypass it for better sound quality. And for coils, to keep things economical, you would need an coil with a ferrite core. For a coil to cross at 200hz, the value would be 10 times higher than that for 2khz. Why don't you try out typical crossover calculator and see if the corresponding components in part express and see if you like the combo... its a bit more of a case that moving on to tha design would require components that make compromises to the sound quality. So it needs to be seen if the improvement in crossing low to the wideband justifies the poorer quality crossover...

Oon

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 4th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
One challenge you will need to overcome is the use of large caps and inductors if you want to cross low.
There is no question it can be done, but Joel says he does not want to have a low pass, which does make it difficult.

The XO i am currently working on has a 100 uF cap and a 5mH choke.

dave
Old 5th December 2012, 12:41 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
There is no question it can be done, but Joel says he does not want to have a low pass, which does make it difficult.

The XO i am currently working on has a 100 uF cap and a 5mH choke.

dave
Yeh, no low pass and one cap for tweeter.. I think we made mistake in calling Cone Tweeter a wide band.. Sorry about that.. Now getting some things straight..

So, we want widerange mid woofer that rolls off naturally and Cone Tweeter..

I see 2 visation cone tweeter available and cheap enough..Anyone heard these? Sonic Characteristics?

Is there no woofer available that rolls off where the cone tweeter can take over?

I remember seeing a design(cant find now)with TAD1101h woofer with no low pass in a 2way and the review for it was very good..
Old 5th December 2012, 12:48 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ok, well it can be done now that we are talking about tweeters and higher x-over points.

Hide this!Advertise here!