My DIY "waterproof" Ammo can system. (I'd love some Feedback) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My DIY "waterproof" Ammo can system. (I'd love some Feedback)

Hello everyone. A while ago I set out on an adventure of building my own speaker systems and hocking them on Ebay/Etsy/Friends. I've built a few and sold a few less, but here is my latest venture;

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Components used;

Box - Just a cool, easy, sturdy, weather resistant box.

Speakers - I know.. UBER lame speakers.. But this is a suggestions thread.. I went for cheap, weatherproof materials. They sound 1 alright.

Amp - Classic Amp.. Great sound, efficient, magnets, resistors, awesome Volume/Power pot

Battery - Enough power and life, cheaper than Li-Po.

Controller/Charger (I've since used a more economical version) - This thing works great. It has all the modes for charging the battery, plus giving the load out whatever it needs.

PSU - Enough for the Amp, plus the charging.. I could probably do with a 4A PSU, but this was $7 so i snagged it.

Thanks for looking and I'd appreciate any feedback. I plan on using more foam to separate the channels (I know how you guys love channel separation), mounting the Battery on/off switch somewhere better, cleaning up some silicone.

I'm in full on prototype mode and hopefully I'll get better as I build them.

Last edited by Leejin; 3rd December 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Looks good to me. Do you happen to notice the sound of the enclosure or is it solid enough?

What sort of feedback are you looking for?
Old 4th December 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

nice kitty...how is that for feedback?
Old 4th December 2012, 02:04 PM   #4
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

very nicely done.

Have you heard of the L200C battery charger circuit? Universal Battery Charger Module, Constant C/V, ST L200 | eBay

Have you considered mounting one speaker on the front and one on the rear for that added stereo seperation? I'm not sure if it would work, maybe you could pitch it to some guys here.

Those vertical SLA batteries are nice aren't they, I like them too.

Oh yeah and nice kit cat! curious ones are the best.
Old 4th December 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Looks good to me. Do you happen to notice the sound of the enclosure or is it solid enough?

What sort of feedback are you looking for?
The enclosure is great. Very Sturdy.. No sound at all. I added a foam separator to hopefully separate the channels a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
very nicely done.

Have you heard of the L200C battery charger circuit? Universal Battery Charger Module, Constant C/V, ST L200 | eBay

Have you considered mounting one speaker on the front and one on the rear for that added stereo seperation? I'm not sure if it would work, maybe you could pitch it to some guys here.

Those vertical SLA batteries are nice aren't they, I like them too.

Oh yeah and nice kit cat! curious ones are the best.
What's the advantage of that thing? The charger I have now is only $10, handles up to 10 Amps.. Not sure what Id use the universal one for.

Thanks for the feedback guys.. My cat doesn't leave new things alone.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You might try stuffing it with some insulation...see how that effects the sound. maybe even wedging some bracing between the panels...just to see how it effects the tone.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

As much as I love to see $2000 full range drivers in solid rosewood tree trunks or whatever, I really enjoy these kind of projects. I think these would be cool if you could build one for the winter like this... Got me thinking...
Old 4th December 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortron View Post
As much as I love to see $2000 full range drivers in solid rosewood tree trunks or whatever, I really enjoy these kind of projects. I think these would be cool if you could build one for the winter like this... Got me thinking...
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use this thing in a monsoon. Waterproof speakers, plus I sealed EVERYTHING with silicone. The enclosure is a dry storage ammo box with an integrated O-Ring too. Kinda scared to test it though. Haha.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejin View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use this thing in a monsoon. Waterproof speakers, plus I sealed EVERYTHING with silicone. The enclosure is a dry storage ammo box with an integrated O-Ring too. Kinda scared to test it though. Haha.
Do it.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:58 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejin View Post
I have used this same enclosure to store my video camera in a whitewater rafting trip in Yukon. Worked perfectly. Just have to make sure silicone is solid no gaps. You can tell if it is airtight if atmospheric pressure changes and box is harder to open or if you hear a whisshhh sound when cracking open. Nice job. You don't need fancy drivers for stuff like this. Love the cat, does he fit inside? I have a question, is that amp powerful enough for loud sound? You may consider putting a passive radiator on other side for more bass. They don't make waterproof passive radiators... Make your own with cheap waterproof drivers with power resistor across leads - you can tune damping with different loads.

Last edited by xrk971; 4th December 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!