My DIY "waterproof" Ammo can system. (I'd love some Feedback)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. A while ago I set out on an adventure of building my own speaker systems and hocking them on Ebay/Etsy/Friends. I've built a few and sold a few less, but here is my latest venture;

dX8k2h.jpg

i62YDh.jpg

Components used;

Box - Just a cool, easy, sturdy, weather resistant box.

Speakers - I know.. UBER lame speakers.. But this is a suggestions thread.. I went for cheap, weatherproof materials. They sound 1 alright.

Amp - Classic Amp.. Great sound, efficient, magnets, resistors, awesome Volume/Power pot

Battery - Enough power and life, cheaper than Li-Po.

Controller/Charger (I've since used a more economical version) - This thing works great. It has all the modes for charging the battery, plus giving the load out whatever it needs.

PSU - Enough for the Amp, plus the charging.. I could probably do with a 4A PSU, but this was $7 so i snagged it.

Thanks for looking and I'd appreciate any feedback. I plan on using more foam to separate the channels (I know how you guys love channel separation), mounting the Battery on/off switch somewhere better, cleaning up some silicone.

I'm in full on prototype mode and hopefully I'll get better as I build them.

Last edited:
very nicely done.

Have you heard of the L200C battery charger circuit? Universal Battery Charger Module, Constant C/V, ST L200 | eBay

Have you considered mounting one speaker on the front and one on the rear for that added stereo seperation? I'm not sure if it would work, maybe you could pitch it to some guys here.

Those vertical SLA batteries are nice aren't they, I like them too.

Oh yeah and nice kit cat! curious ones are the best.

Looks good to me. Do you happen to notice the sound of the enclosure or is it solid enough?

What sort of feedback are you looking for?

The enclosure is great. Very Sturdy.. No sound at all. I added a foam separator to hopefully separate the channels a bit.

very nicely done.

Have you heard of the L200C battery charger circuit? Universal Battery Charger Module, Constant C/V, ST L200 | eBay

Have you considered mounting one speaker on the front and one on the rear for that added stereo seperation? I'm not sure if it would work, maybe you could pitch it to some guys here.

Those vertical SLA batteries are nice aren't they, I like them too.

Oh yeah and nice kit cat! curious ones are the best.

What's the advantage of that thing? The charger I have now is only $10, handles up to 10 Amps.. Not sure what Id use the universal one for.

Thanks for the feedback guys.. My cat doesn't leave new things alone.

As much as I love to see $2000 full range drivers in solid rosewood tree trunks or whatever, I really enjoy these kind of projects. I think these would be cool if you could build one for the winter like this... Got me thinking...

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use this thing in a monsoon. Waterproof speakers, plus I sealed EVERYTHING with silicone. The enclosure is a dry storage ammo box with an integrated O-Ring too. Kinda scared to test it though. Haha.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use this thing in a monsoon. Waterproof speakers, plus I sealed EVERYTHING with silicone. The enclosure is a dry storage ammo box with an integrated O-Ring too. Kinda scared to test it though. Haha.

I have used this same enclosure to store my video camera in a whitewater rafting trip in Yukon. Worked perfectly. Just have to make sure silicone is solid no gaps. You can tell if it is airtight if atmospheric pressure changes and box is harder to open or if you hear a whisshhh sound when cracking open. Nice job. You don't need fancy drivers for stuff like this. Love the cat, does he fit inside? I have a question, is that amp powerful enough for loud sound? You may consider putting a passive radiator on other side for more bass. They don't make waterproof passive radiators... Make your own with cheap waterproof drivers with power resistor across leads - you can tune damping with different loads.

Last edited:
I have used this same enclosure to store my video camera in a whitewater rafting trip in Yukon. Worked perfectly. Just have to make sure silicone is solid no gaps. You can tell if it is airtight if atmospheric pressure changes and box is harder to open or if you hear a whisshhh sound when cracking open. Nice job. You don't need fancy drivers for stuff like this. Love the cat, does he fit inside? I have a question, is that amp powerful enough for loud sound? You may consider putting a passive radiator on other side for more bass. They don't make waterproof passive radiators... Make your own with cheap waterproof drivers with power resistor across leads - you can tune damping with different loads.

Yeah.. I read the Wiki article on Passive Radiators and started foaming at the mouth. Most of this stuff is really over my head. I'm just throwing components together to make better products than I can buy.

I have insane amounts of respect for most of the people on this forum though; The ability to fine tune EVERYTHING and actually figure out all these measurements.. It's quite incredible.. But for sure, not for me.

funny thing is this ain't like no ammo can I ever saw, usually proper ammo cans are made from steel. = and weigh a ton.

Last time I checked plastic couldn't deflect a ricochet or contain shrapnel, not unless its made from fiberglass, maybe I've just never seen a plastic ammo can before.

I can't imagine a plastic hinge lasting for very long either, but at least it would be slightly easier to work with than steel, and less noisy, noisy being a factor when you're trying to quietly recharge those tank guns, or supply a guy with a spool of ammo in the pitch black dark on the side of a hill as taliban are walking up above.

Infact, plastic ammo cans are a great idea, I for one welcome our new plastic overlords.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
funny thing is this ain't like no ammo can I ever saw, usually proper ammo cans are made from steel. = and weigh a ton.

Last time I checked plastic couldn't deflect a ricochet or contain shrapnel, not unless its made from fiberglass, maybe I've just never seen a plastic ammo can before.

I can't imagine a plastic hinge lasting for very long either, but at least it would be slightly easier to work with than steel, and less noisy, noisy being a factor when you're trying to quietly recharge those tank guns, or supply a guy with a spool of ammo in the pitch black dark on the side of a hill as taliban are walking up above.

Infact, plastic ammo cans are a great idea, I for one welcome our new plastic overlords.

Not a real military ammo can, same size and design with seals and latches but really for keeping stuff waterproof and good for weekend hunters and hobbyists.

Add remote control and you've got a dandy varmint caller there.

Dude...... :eek:

You... I like you.

I've tried a couple of different styles of plastic box before - lunch-box sized clip-on lid containers for mini speakers, and a Pelican equipment case for a beach party boombox. Both had problems with the enclosure walls vibrating. By the time I added damping / stiffening I lost significant internal volume and added a lot of weight. A "real steel" ammo box has much stiffer walls, and the clamp-on lid with rubber seal does a good job of damping "bell" resonances of the enclosure. Heavy, though. What I really need is an aluminium "ammo style" box...

The original impetus for me using enclosures with lids was for portability - the internal space could be used for packing cables, Walkman, tapes etc when not in use. I did a lot of travelling, and being able to use the internal space meant I could take bigger, better sounding speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.