Dave questions about Tysen's bottom woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Dave,

I see in this picture your not using the css drivers any more due to them being no longer made. ( I hope I got this right?). Here is a few picture's to remind you of the speaker type I am talking about. I know alot of people write and ask you these questions? Here they are;
uFKTwT-wWoofs-comp.jpg

Dave are you using a Peerless woofer? They only two driver's that looks close to the one's pictured. There is 2 4" inch driver's and 2 5 1/4 drivers? Here is the model number's for both 4" inch driver's 830870 and the 830855 and the 5 1/4 driver's 830656 and the 83086. I hope my question is a run around and I repeat my self like always. Sorry if I did dave just trying to cover the basis. Thanks jm

The Tysen design of several years ago used a single of the excellent CSS SDX7, which you correctly note is out of production, although a few are still in captivity, and the Fostex FF85K - predecessor to the 85WK seen above.

There a lot of excellent candidates for mid-bass drivers in the 5 1/2" - 7" range - we've used the SDX7 for quite a few years now for a couple of reasons - they can work very well in tiny volumes and are therefore very flexible, and we had a big supply.

The system shown in your post consists of separate enclosures, each of which has a model designation several syllables and many consonants longer than "Tysen" - I get lost.

The mid-bass drivers are indeed Peerless - 830860 I believe - chosen in this particular case to meet the design goal of matching the trapezoid profile of the existing microFonken enclosures.

A couple of inches additional depth and width of enclosure would have allowed for use of larger mid-bass- Peerless, SilverFlute,TangBand - choose your favorite.

It's much easier to draw something this tight than to build - sometimes it's not 'til the second pair that things work out.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As Chris points out, the woofer is 830870. It was choosen because it nicely fit the constraints of the enclosure size. This woofer requires a large enclosure for its size, but Scott came up with an ML-TL which extracts performance out of these drivers that exceeded expectation by quite a bit. There is a less expensive Dayton that Scott says will work in the ML-TL.

The idea of the woofTs (as a class) is that one can start with any of the miniOnken and later add helper woofers to make them closer to true full range systems with greater dynamic and level capabilities (one still needs subs for the train crashes). So far we are closer to the supplying examples of the concept as opposed to having a full slate of designs.

A whole series of woofTs that match the footprint of the trapezoids (and any of the other miniOnkens) exist in theory. Footprint and height constraints put constraints on the woofers used. It is possible to make the woofT deeper to give a bit more flexibility in both volume & in baffle surface to mount drivers (the trapezoid footprint limits us to 6.5" drivers), but the aesthetic isnot as slick.The EL166 ML-TL we built for a set of wide trapezoids for the EL70 are an example of this.

A large supply of SDX7 (i still have quite a few) has held us back somewhat from exploring units that are more generally available.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Mar-Kel70wT with EL166 woofTs,

MK70wT-fir-wWoofT-comp.jpg

and a set of the uFonkenSET with woofT that Chris did a fantastic job of showing how well the cosmetics can be integrated -- invariably i amasked if the top comes off.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

Bernie is making me a set of woofT in Yew to match my personal uFonkenSET (pic posted in the 1st post).

dave

dave

The Mar-Kel70wT with EL166 woofTs,

MK70wT-fir-wWoofT-comp.jpg

and a set of the uFonkenSET with woofT that Chris did a fantastic job of showing how well the cosmetics can be integrated -- invariably i amasked if the top comes off.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

Bernie is making me a set of woofT in Yew to match my personal uFonkenSET (pic posted in the 1st post).

dave

dave

(and a set of the uFonkenSET with woofT that Chris did a fantastic job of showing how well the cosmetics can be integrated -- invariably i amasked if the top comes off.) Yes he sure did. A very well design and integration between both speakers :D. It makes me want a pair done for me but, it would be cheaper for me do build my self due to low hours and loss of pay:(. jm

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The speakers bernie is making on the last post and last picture are there plans going to on your web site or to buy? This is the one design I was looking for? Thanks jm

Chris made the ones in the pic posted and one of the sets in the picture below. But Bernie has built the greatest number. I've even built one the 2nd batch of experimental cedar flatpacks. (Chris sprayed them for me)

The light ones, with the more rounded edges. Chris built the pr to the right from the alpha flatpacks (Scottmoose has the other from that run, built by Colin)

cedar-uFonkenSET.jpg

The FF85wK planset includes the plans for these, the matching woofers, the smaller rectangular uFonken.

dave

Chris made the ones in the pic posted and one of the sets in the picture below. But Bernie has built the greatest number. I've even built one the 2nd batch of experimental cedar flatpacks. (Chris sprayed them for me)

The light ones, with the more rounded edges. Chris built* the pr to the right from the alpha flatpacks (Scottmoose has the other from that run, built by Colin)
* assembled from flat pack kits fabricated by Bernie would be more accurate

chris tends to work more with ply and veneer, while Bernie is a master artisan with solids - as your equipment stand demonstrates

the little microFonkenT lends itself particularly well to use of solid wood - the ability to radius edges in both directions gives these a softness that is very appealing

cedar-uFonkenSET.jpg

The FF85wK planset includes the plans for these, the matching woofers, the smaller rectangular uFonken.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.