Dip in frequency response, fix ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, they have a low Fs but they can only produce 72 db max each.
You would need 250 of them to produce 99db at a 1kHz crossover.
Its not only CTC spacing that causes CF, its the fact that its a lIne source.
Its the different arrival times along the line that causes CF.
You need a rising response in the drivers to stay flat with a line source, or you will have to eq.

99db? I don't need them to be that efficient.

BMR 4.5 inch driver

Happy new year ( 's Eve!)

I am getting great results with line array's using 8, 12, or 16 drivers per channel using the 4.5 inch BMR.
Here are a few important points that took me a while to fully appreciate:

(1) DSP / Eq is a must. There is no way passive Eq / crossovers / notches etc can do it without hideous complexity, cost, size, and loss of efficiency.

As a minimum try the Eq in JRiver media (or similar VST host), or even better Blue Cat Audio or similar studio grade plugins, Blue Cat do great free plugins to start you off. Reaper, Fab Filter etc are all great to.

(2) For full range music with av / peak SPL's at around 85dB to 105dB, size matters...The Sd of the 4.5 inch is 60cm square, a typical 12 inch driver has an Sd of around 550 cm square...Eight 4.5 inch BMR's = 480 cm square, 12 BMR's = 720 and 16 BMR,s = 960 cm square.

(3) All my designs are "on wall" and use curved cabinets which curve back to meet the wall, this almost eliminates the baffle step issue. Plus it gives you "free" low and low / mid frequency boost. I have measured solid bass ( +- 4dB) down to the high 30Hz low 40Hz depending on Eq and number of drivers. It sounds even deeper than it mearures...!

(4) Comb Filtering is a non issue. Yes you read that right! In real rooms ( not anechoic chambers ) and on wall location, the 4.5 inch BMR line arrays simply flood the entire space with seamless low distortion music. They are dynamic, detailed and so supple & liquid its delightful and astonishing in equal measure.

(5) The smaller BMR's just do not have the ability ( Sd and power handling) to generate the SPL's and dynamics. You have to push them so hard they sound ragged and stressed.
Also the big ferrite magnets really obstruct the back wave and muddy the midrange. The Neo magnet versions are way better in this respect, so pure and natural, but they are way more expensive...

Hope the above helps.
All the best
Derek.

Comb Filtering is a non issue. Yes you read that right! In real rooms ( not anechoic chambers ) and on wall location, the 4.5 inch BMR line arrays simply flood the entire space with seamless low distortion music.
Seamless or not, phase is phase.
Physics laws hold true.
Now, if you mean that a real world room will have so many peaks and dips because of multiple reflections that comb effect on the frontwave becomes hidden/masked/irrelevant yes, I can agree with that.
But in that case, the original 4dB or so 1.5KHz dip also becomes irrelevant by comparison.

They are dynamic, detailed and so supple & liquid its delightful and astonishing in equal measure.
Poetry of the highest grade, I think I will hire you to write my brochures ;)

Real rooms with walls and reflections...!

Exactly right JM,

The elephant in the room, IS the room!
In real rooms sound waves bounce all around the room and more than fill in the theoretical "gaps" above 3.2 KHz ( 112mm centre to centre) or 1,800Hz or so with the 200mm centre of the domes.

Thanks for the compliment on my command of the English language... I have very high audio standards ( Overkill Audio is a hard act to follow!) and am very hard to please! But this little BMR can be spectacular with the right DSP, cabinet, location (on -wall) and line array configuration...I feel its worthy of my heart felt praise...!

Cheers
Derek.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.