diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Kofi Annan in: "Kofi's Big Room" (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/224639-kofi-annan-kofis-big-room.html)

Kofi Annan 30th November 2012 01:40 AM

Kofi Annan in: "Kofi's Big Room"

Hey!

Been a while, but I'm looking for advice.

I got the OK to build some new speaker cabinets for my old Fostex 206e drivers. I currently have them in 208e sigma cabs and they sound great, but I was thinking about a double horn like the Sachiko design.

My room is big-- 22 x 15-- and I have 8 WPC SET 300b mono blocks.

Any cabinet recommendations?

Kofi

CLS 30th November 2012 11:58 PM

Hi,

Big room? Then it must be The Kleinhorn or The J-low. :D

The drivers are different, I know. But they'll pretty much work on 206, too. :D

Kofi Annan 1st December 2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLS (Post 3264963)
Hi,

Big room? Then it must be The Kleinhorn or The J-low. :D

The drivers are different, I know. But they'll pretty much work on 206, too. :D

Yikes. I remember these designs. THe J-low is too inefficient and the Kleinhorn comes with a free divorce, so these won't work.

How about the Vulcan? Anyone tried it?

Kofi

Scottmoose 1st December 2012 02:16 PM

I can confirm that everybody who has to date has liked it but (and it's a big one), I'm emphatically not on this forum to try to flog plans, so that's as far as I go on the subject. Kirishima is an update to Sachiko and while it does give ground to Vulcan, it's not a slouch itself as back-horns go & is available for free.

I can't think of any other double-mouth designs for the 206 off-hand. Horst of course has some that use multiple drivers, but they're not much larger than your current boxes.

Kofi Annan 1st December 2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottmoose (Post 3265632)
I can confirm that everybody who has to date has liked it but (and it's a big one), I'm emphatically not on this forum to try to flog plans, so that's as far as I go on the subject. Kirishima is an update to Sachiko and while it does give ground to Vulcan, it's not a slouch itself as back-horns go & is available for free.

I can't think of any other double-mouth designs for the 206 off-hand. Horst of course has some that use multiple drivers, but they're not much larger than your current boxes.

Great! Thanks!

What about the "multiple drivers" designs? You mean drivers in parallel or a crossover? Can you send the link?

Kofi

Scottmoose 1st December 2012 03:02 PM

Nothing to do with me. No doubt Horst will jump in to advise you to build his boxes. As an advance heads up, they're basically using two paralleled drivers in differentially tuned pipes.

lousymusician 1st December 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kofi Annan (Post 3265598)
free divorce

Oxymoron.

Kofi Annan 6th December 2012 05:20 PM

Horst? Anyone seen Horst?

Kofi?

gafhenderson 6th December 2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kofi Annan (Post 3273406)
Horst? Anyone seen Horst?

Kofi?

Hornlautsprecher

if you want to see. there's nothing particularly ground breaking there tho.

talaerts 7th December 2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gafhenderson (Post 3273446)
Hornlautsprecher

if you want to see. there's nothing particularly ground breaking there tho.

I beg to differ, his RDH20 is particularly appealing and features a clever 3D folding method in a not too big and attractive enclosure. And it is interesting to use a bassdriver for the speaker at the back.
I expect to build this one when I am back in Belgium (in a Singaporean apartment it isn't evident to diy speakers!)