Tube Amp for EL70 ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 02:11 AM   #31
yoaudio is offline yoaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

As much as I love both the EL70s, and several SE amps I've owned over the years ( each in a honorable way of course), I think these drivers really shine with a PP pentode or triode tube amp - needn't be of huge wattage.
Someone is selling Georges Tubelab Simple PP EL84 stereo tube amp PCB and chassis on the bay, just search Tubelab. Just add a power transformer, set of output transformers and a set of tubes.

At work I power a set of bookshelf EL-70's with a Magnavox 8601 SE EL84 amp which sounds good, we keep the volume about 3 or 4 most of the time or 6 to 7 when the boss is gone ! The amp was free at the re-sale store because the console was left out in the rain and the driver still picked it up. It was being saved for the junk man until I seen it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by yoaudio; 1st December 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:10 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoaudio View Post
Someone is selling Georges Tubelab Simple PP EL84 stereo tube amp PCB and chassis on the bay, just search Tubelab.
"Your search returned 0 items"
Old 1st December 2012, 05:19 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

"The Enigma that is Tubes"

The entry fee just to try it is a) more money than you can afford to "try" something, or B) become an electrical engineer and build your own.

Even the DIY sites are cryptic and impossible to navigate. They all seem to begin with the assumption that you are a rocket surgeon. Nothing as simple as "order this complete kit and solder the sh!t together". The "tube boys" aught to take a chapter or 2 out of the books of the good folks here in the Full Range forum.

No, I'm not a brain scientist either.

Last edited by cogitech; 1st December 2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 1st December 2012, 05:38 AM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Nothing as simple as "order this complete kit and solder the sh!t together".
There are some of those.

dave
Old 1st December 2012, 05:49 AM   #35
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Cogitech,

Tubelab (George Anderson's) site tries to make it easy on the newbie with step by step instructions and pictures. For the Tubelab PP he sells kits with the parts required. True you need to order the OPTs and figure out the chassis.

Read at 6moons that the Elekit and Triode corp kits are pretty decent and easy to put together.
Old 1st December 2012, 01:27 PM   #36
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default MP-301 Mk2

Cogitech,

Just wanted to weigh in on the MP-301, since you mentioned it in an earlier post. I have the MK2 version, paired with my Frugel-Horn Mk3s, and it sounds fantastic (to me). It's my first foray into tubes, and I was able to get it for $200 shipped off one of the forums. It's running the stock 6L6/5998 complement of tubes, but I plan to try some EL34 tubes soon. I'm using it in a 12'x17' listening room, with my listening position about 6'-8' from the speakers (depending on my mood ... 8' is sitting on the couch and 6' is sitting on the floor in front of the couch - quite a difference in soundstage) and my system gets plenty loud for me (no SPL meter, though, so I haven't tested it). Overall I'm very happy with the amp, especially given the price. My next one will probably be hand built once I get up the balls to actually tackle that project (probably one of the Bottlehead amps).

Tom
Old 1st December 2012, 03:02 PM   #37
yoaudio is offline yoaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
"Your search returned 0 items"
Try this-

Tubelab Simple P P EL84 Stereo Tube Amp PCB and Chassis | eBay
Old 1st December 2012, 03:37 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoaudio View Post
Thanks.

However, "Ships to: United States" (which is why I did not find it on ebay.ca)
Old 1st December 2012, 03:47 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Yes, I visited his site for quite some time. I got the distinct impression that he is trying to make it easy for newbies (and I wish him the best with that), but I left the site more confused and overwhelmed than when I got there.

His "YOU WILL DIE!" messages were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Cogitech,

Tubelab (George Anderson's) site tries to make it easy on the newbie with step by step instructions and pictures. For the Tubelab PP he sells kits with the parts required. True you need to order the OPTs and figure out the chassis.

Read at 6moons that the Elekit and Triode corp kits are pretty decent and easy to put together.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:52 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarwa View Post
Cogitech,

Just wanted to weigh in on the MP-301, since you mentioned it in an earlier post. I have the MK2 version, paired with my Frugel-Horn Mk3s, and it sounds fantastic (to me). It's my first foray into tubes, and I was able to get it for $200 shipped off one of the forums. It's running the stock 6L6/5998 complement of tubes, but I plan to try some EL34 tubes soon. I'm using it in a 12'x17' listening room, with my listening position about 6'-8' from the speakers (depending on my mood ... 8' is sitting on the couch and 6' is sitting on the floor in front of the couch - quite a difference in soundstage) and my system gets plenty loud for me (no SPL meter, though, so I haven't tested it). Overall I'm very happy with the amp, especially given the price. My next one will probably be hand built once I get up the balls to actually tackle that project (probably one of the Bottlehead amps).

Tom
Thanks for the response. This is quite helpful. If I could find a deal like that I would probably jump on it.

Hide this!Advertise here!