My First Build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished my first build, and am hooked on the DIY audio scene. Thanks to the help of Creative Sound Solutions, I have a very nice sounding pair of CHR-70's in hand made Maple hardwood enclosures.

Next, I want to build a small powered sub to go with them. :)

8227299573_3e57b8f618_c.jpg

8227298529_7872f231e7_c.jpg

8227298435_2bf3f04e1b_c.jpg

Very nice! I have a soft spot for the CHR70. Is that the Till70 enclosure design?

Kyle
The design I used can be found here: CHR 70 Chamagne | Markaudio

I used the "slim-deeper bass reflex box". They do sound quite amazing for such small speakers. I listen to them every day.

I have been tossing around the idea of trying a set of the Alpair 7's. Anyone have an personal experience going from the $36 CHR-70's to the $100+ Alpair's? The sound worth the extra cash?

At least in the US (Madisound) the A7's are only $49 each more than the CHR's. I think anyone experienced in the 'audio scene' would tell you that $100 for even a barely noticeable improvement would be a bargain. I have not heard either, but others have said many times that the A7's are noticeably better (midrange detail, sweetness, that kind of thing).

Yes, I would also support that after having listened to CHR-70.2 and Alp 7.3.

Ok. Keep in mind that I have the CHR-70.3's... don't know if that makes a difference, but I read somewhere that the 3rd Gen CHR's were a decent improvement.

I purchased my CHR's from Bob at Creative Sound Solutions. His price for an Alpair7 is $85, so the upgrade would cost me $170 plus tax/shipping.

Question, anyone used the CHR's in a very small enclosure? Say a 5" cube? Just searching for ideas to use the replaced drivers if I decide to upgrade.

Also, I found this subwoofer that looks like a good compliment to my little system:Aurum Cantus AC-180F1D 7" DVC Woofer 296-414

Anyone use this driver? I like that the surround is inverted like the CHR's.

Question, anyone used the CHR's in a very small enclosure? Say a 5" cube? Just searching for ideas to use the replaced drivers if I decide to upgrade.

Most of these small FR's sim down to around 150 Hz in a small sealed cabinet. I have sim'd the A6 and A7, and I'm sure the CHR will be pretty much identical in terms of how it sims in such a small cab. You can check it in WinISD (very easy to use). LinearTeam

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Most of these small FR's sim down to around 150 Hz in a small sealed cabinet. I have sim'd the A6 and A7, and I'm sure the CHR will be pretty much identical in terms of how it sims in such a small cab.

CHR70.3 will reach below 100 sealed (70.1 & 70.2 reach a bit lower). If needed Q can be reduced with more stuffing. mMarS70 is 5.5 litre sealed and the same size as mCHR-Ken above.

dave

Attachments

• CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    23 KB · Views: 92
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.