TEST with regards to hi frequency TRANSIENT RESPONSE and PRECISION + Phase plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi amazing people
icon_smile.gif
I have noticed that Lots of speakers(2Inch & 3 Inch) out there, sound smeared and smooth with regards to sibilances and high frequency "transient" details.

Although those speakers can reach the higher frequencies which they claim to, I have noticed that they tend to smooth out the transients. I am actually looking for a Wide-Bandwidth speaker which can represent SIZZLE and RAZOR SHARP PIERCING SOUNDS, when they are present in the musical material. I just want a brutally honest speaker.

From my test, I have noticed that when those frequencies are ISOLATED, they are clearly heard , but they don't stick out when the whole frequencies are playing altogether. I could not understand why.

Does a Wide-band speaker with fast hi-end transient exist or am I dreaming ??

According to your experience, does a phase-plug smear and smooth out the high end transients, precision and transparency of a sound material ?? The speakers I have tested didn't have any phase plugs.

I have conducted a little test for the people who would be interested to find out if their systems smear out transients, high end distortion and piercing frequencies.

here is the download link: Zippyshare.com - Tang band Sibilance test 16 bit.wav

0.00 seconds : "it JUSTTTTT waSSSn't enough" ... there is some distortion and slightly piercing/sizzling stuff on JUUSSSTTTTT waSSSSSn't enough.

0.04 philoSSSSophy iSSSS Killing (relatively smooth but still sibilant), previouSSS illuSSSionSS that ... (this time it's more piercing and sizzling)

0.09 The TTT in "sometimes" sound a bit sizzling, and everytime she uses a T word , it sizzles. It's not very horrible, but you should hear the accent on the T words, and it's not very pleasant.

0.18 Smooth operator- Sade ... No plaCCCCe for beginners , there is a whistling sizzle on the C in "place", it pokes out well relative to the level of the vocal. It's very fine yet sizzling.

0.21 Seal-Crazy ... everytime he says a word containing an "S" it sizzles and it's quite loud and whistling this time.

0.25 ...when she says PLACCCEEEEE , again there is a fine piercing sound like SSSSS , it's not a pleasant smooth "S" sound, but a piercing fine sound.

0.28 ... again that same annoying fine piercing SSSSS sound when she says: "ITTTT SSSSSSeemSSSS Clear" . If the speaker makes this sound like a smooth S sound, there's a problem.

0.32 ... same problem with the SSSSSS sound , different frequencies of SSSSS during the phrase, but they all sound annoying.

0.38 ... he says : I feel like ZZZSSSSSSSooming. The ZZZSSSSSSS is quite a harsh sound mixed with a smooth sound, but you still should hear the layer of digital harshness.

0.42 ... he says "WhiSSSper SSSSoftly" on the "Whisper" the S is fine and piercing , but the S in the "softly" is very pronounced, fine and sizzly like a razor.

Those problems can clearly be heard on expensive mastering systems like the Dunlavy or Lipinsky monitor speakers, and I just wondered if they also could be heard on a wide-bandwidth speaker.

Have fun testing your system and please share your experience and knowledge with regards to this subject
smiley_thumb.gif

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.