My first build, Ideas on a Horn/TL full range? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2012, 03:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My first build, Ideas on a Horn/TL full range?

I guess like many i got sucked into the $100 limit of Parts Express for free shipping, I was taking advantage of the Cyber Monday deals and needed $35 more bucks to get it. I threw a pair of ND91-8 drivers on my order as I've always wanted to try a full range speaker. Yes I know this may not be an ideal driver but oh well, I don't have finely tuned ears or a perfect listening environment either.

What would be a half decent design for these if I were to split the difference between efficiency and bass assuming I'll have a decent enough amp and I never listen at reference (yet). Floorstanding is preferred at~40-45" tall or so with a front port (not enough room anywhere to bring these away from the wall). I also like the look of the extra tall curvy chang speakers but I feel they may look odd to be so tall and skinny with this smallish driver.

Alternatively a soundbar type setup in stereo would be cool. Would putting the "ports" (is the correct term front or rear loaded in this case?) in the middle beside eachother pose a problem? The ports are just for low frequency non-directional sound anyways correct?

Last edited by malovich; 27th November 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Check out the TABAQ TL thread
Old 27th November 2012, 06:11 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

THis driver is an OEM variation on the Aura NS3. Listed specs are quite different thou. Character thru the mid/top should be similar thou.

It really needs examining from 1st prinicipals instead of trying to shoehorn it into a box designed for another driver.

dave
Old 27th November 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
THis driver is an OEM variation on the Aura NS3. Listed specs are quite different thou. Character thru the mid/top should be similar thou.

It really needs examining from 1st prinicipals instead of trying to shoehorn it into a box designed for another driver.

dave
In that case what should I be looking at? Yes I created my profile in 2007, 5 years ago but I have only lived vicariously through you guys. Since experience is king I am a mere peasant around these parts.

Some of the TABAQ variations look like they would work for a sound bar interestingly, even if they aren't optimal. I do have a BS in Mechanical Engineering so don't go easy on me.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:29 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Grab some modeling software (on 'puter or on-line) and do some sims to get an idea how the driver responds to the box... you'll learn a lot just looking at the graphed results.

One criteria i use for BR response is that i avoid any situation where the 1st derivative of the FR curve crosses zero more than once (ignoring the flat-part of the curve in the HF)

dave
Old 27th November 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Grab some modeling software (on 'puter or on-line) and do some sims to get an idea how the driver responds to the box... you'll learn a lot just looking at the graphed results.

One criteria i use for BR response is that i avoid any situation where the 1st derivative of the FR curve crosses zero more than once (ignoring the flat-part of the curve in the HF)

dave

you'll probably be needing to explain or graphically annotate that again - it's not clear to a lot of folks, and likely most certainly those at the front end of their learning curve.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:56 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
you'll probably be needing to explain or graphically annotate that again - it's not clear to a lot of folks, and likely most certainly those at the front end of their learning curve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich View Post
I do have a BS in Mechanical Engineering so don't go easy on me.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!