My first build, Ideas on a Horn/TL full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess like many i got sucked into the $100 limit of Parts Express for free shipping, I was taking advantage of the Cyber Monday deals and needed $35 more bucks to get it. I threw a pair of ND91-8 drivers on my order as I've always wanted to try a full range speaker. Yes I know this may not be an ideal driver but oh well, I don't have finely tuned ears or a perfect listening environment either.

What would be a half decent design for these if I were to split the difference between efficiency and bass assuming I'll have a decent enough amp and I never listen at reference (yet). Floorstanding is preferred at~40-45" tall or so with a front port (not enough room anywhere to bring these away from the wall). I also like the look of the extra tall curvy chang speakers but I feel they may look odd to be so tall and skinny with this smallish driver.

Alternatively a soundbar type setup in stereo would be cool. Would putting the "ports" (is the correct term front or rear loaded in this case?) in the middle beside eachother pose a problem? The ports are just for low frequency non-directional sound anyways correct?

Last edited:
THis driver is an OEM variation on the Aura NS3. Listed specs are quite different thou. Character thru the mid/top should be similar thou.

It really needs examining from 1st prinicipals instead of trying to shoehorn it into a box designed for another driver.

dave

In that case what should I be looking at? Yes I created my profile in 2007, 5 years ago but I have only lived vicariously through you guys. Since experience is king I am a mere peasant around these parts.

Some of the TABAQ variations look like they would work for a sound bar interestingly, even if they aren't optimal. I do have a BS in Mechanical Engineering so don't go easy on me.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Grab some modeling software (on 'puter or on-line) and do some sims to get an idea how the driver responds to the box... you'll learn a lot just looking at the graphed results.

One criteria i use for BR response is that i avoid any situation where the 1st derivative of the FR curve crosses zero more than once (ignoring the flat-part of the curve in the HF)

dave

Grab some modeling software (on 'puter or on-line) and do some sims to get an idea how the driver responds to the box... you'll learn a lot just looking at the graphed results.

One criteria i use for BR response is that i avoid any situation where the 1st derivative of the FR curve crosses zero more than once (ignoring the flat-part of the curve in the HF)

dave

you'll probably be needing to explain or graphically annotate that again - it's not clear to a lot of folks, and likely most certainly those at the front end of their learning curve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.