black kevlar Monacor SPH 30X/4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
G104190A.jpg

Just ordered a pair of these kevlar 3 inchers for an omni experiment :)
I've been told they sound v good altho there's a pronounced treble rise. Interested to see what will happen with a bit of tweaking/using as an omni will do the the overall response

SPH-30X/4

30 gbp each from Bluearan ( for the black version) :cool:

I didn't know they came in black as well. Where did you get them?

I used these, the yellow version, and I liked them. Very good detail, surprisingly large sound. The open baffle speakers I built with them sounded best (a subwoofer/satellite arrangement, obviously).

View attachment 314230

Just ordered a pair of these kevlar 3 inchers for an omni experiment :)
I've been told they sound v good altho there's a pronounced treble rise. Interested to see what will happen with a bit of tweaking/using as an omni will do the the overall response

SPH-30X/4

30 gbp each from Bluearan ( for the black version) :cool:

Tell me about this omni design.
Up firing flooder? Acoustic lens? A Pluto type arrangement?

carbonology? Is that carbon fibre composite? I was planning a turned wood reflector, though how well wood would work, and quite what curve to use is beyond my knowledge. Also my TBs phaseplug may complicate matters somewhat.

turned wood will probably be fine. I made a mistake, it wasnt carbonology, it was carbon mods Carbon Fibre Supplies, Carbon Fiber Sheet and High Performance Carbon Fibre Products - Carbon Mods - just ordered their large size mould making kit

SPH 30X were used in Cheap Trick 224 - a small 2.1 set published by Klang und Ton couple of years ago. I did this project last year and the sound is surprisingly good. Did not try the speaker in any other configurations, though.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pics: LINK. Your kids may like it ;)

Last edited:
After ordering these from Blue Aran on the 27th no delivery and no email from the company; so I called up today to find out where my speakers were (quoted 6-7days).
Judging by the reply the order had yet to leave Monacor but will be delivered mid next week "hopefully", apologies "on their behalf for the slight delay"(15 days after order)

not impressed

Last edited:
yes received them finally, maybe a combination of slow delivery from Monacor and Bluearan's lackadaisical customer service. I'm in thailand working on the speaker cabinets and havent rigged them up yet but they are very cute looking;)

The full model number on these is SPH-30X/4SW

Last edited:
Did you ever get them set up? It's cool that they're available now in black, although the yellow looked great as well!

I'll second that these sound fantastic, dinky little things but these have been my favourite speaker project overall: The Wedge :D . Sound is very clear and easy to listen to with pretty much anything you throw at them, but whilst being very detailed and rendering vocals faithfully. They also play to a much higher level than you'd imagine, remaining totally clear and producing a surprising sense of scale. I used a notch filter around 10kHz in my design.

Might be tempted to build a second pair with the black drivers and a black with metal accents finish :spin:

For anyone still keen on using these, the P Audio SN3-30N appears to be the same (as the yellow Monacor) driver.

The frame looks improved, but all else is equivalent. Mine measure the same as is shown on this Monacor graph - if I apply as much smoothing*.

| Monacor 104410 |Fuldtonehjttaler 3 SPH-30X/8 Hjttaler-enheder Fuldtone-enheder

My feeling is that either unit is overpriced.

*edit: looking again at that graph in the link, the 10kHz peak on mine is only about +6dB, not the 13dB or so of the originals. Amazing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.