ultratouch denim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can order the Ultra Touch in small rolls from Home Depot. You have to peel the foil off the back - easy. The thicker stuff comes in very large batts.

OP asked for 1/2". HD sells 2.5". It's the only source of 1/2" I know of. Works GREAT for lining inside of compression drivers like JBL two inchers. I lined the entire back pots on mine with this stuff, to a great improvement in fidelity. I don't think you could get a better improvement for the money spent.

The Ultratouch radiant barrier is 3/8 w/ foil back. The foil can be peeled off. I'm pretty sure that's what Pano mentioned.

OP asked for 1/2". HD sells 2.5". It's the only source of 1/2" I know of. Works GREAT for lining inside of compression drivers like JBL two inchers. I lined the entire back pots on mine with this stuff, to a great improvement in fidelity. I don't think you could get a better improvement for the money spent.

The Ultratouch radiant barrier is 3/8 w/ foil back. The foil can be peeled off. I'm pretty sure that's what Pano mentioned.

Oh. I see. But while it would be easy to peel the foil off, in my application, I couldn't afford the stray fibers lifting off the base matt (due to tearing off the backing) interfering with the diaphrams. The source I cited had a smooth surface.

For base cabinets, I used the HD 2.5 inch stuff. No need to tear off backing.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a thread somewhere else here in DIY ? Where ubiquitous F'glass House Insulation was claimed to be pretty well every bit as sonically effective, as the shredded clothes/cotton stuff from Home Depot? Only a bit unpleasant to deal with, being the basic detractor.
Nothing really changes does It ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As far as I can tell, the cotton is effective across a broader range than Fiberglass.
Fiberglass is good, but from using and hearing the cotton batting, I'd have to say it's better. Only 100% wool felt seems to rival it.

But further data is needed to declare a true winner.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As far as we can tell the closest UltraTouch currently available to what we have been using (mades circa 2005 i believe) and been very happy with is the 1/2" felt now sold as HVAC liner (i can no longer find it on the website), Bob got some of the HVAC stuff and it is not exactly the same -- i've yet to get a sample.

For something like a set of uFonken a couple of the acoutical panels would fo the job, if it came in 1/2" and i don't know what density would be appropriate,

dave

Wasn't there a thread somewhere else here in DIY ? Where ubiquitous F'glass House Insulation was claimed to be pretty well every bit as sonically effective, as the shredded clothes/cotton stuff from Home Depot? Only a bit unpleasant to deal with, being the basic detractor.

The conclusions made in that thread were based on increasing the apparent volume of a cabinet. FG was said to be as good or better than anything else in that regard.

I don't know if you can assume that FG is as good as say, denim, for reducing reflections and/or attenuation. Denim is used for sound proofing walls. I don't know why it would be used for that over FG if it costs more. Further, posted tables of absorption seem to show denim as being better than FG.

I think you nailed it! Good old fiberglass is as good as anything else and better at the bottom. However, you need gloves to handle it. That bit of unpleasantness has morphed into a perceived environmental hazard. Stories of particles being blown out of ports (even though everyone should know that there is not net air transport out of a port), lung cancer, etc. I use 1" rigid bats in all of my cabinets.

Bob

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good old fiberglass is as good as anything else and better at the bottom.
I do not believe that it is. Good, but not the best. Wool felt is better, and the cotton seems to be better, too. The cotton is new for most of us, and we've been very pleased with it so far.

Fiberglass works great, but we do think we've found something a little better.

All these comments in one day! This community is great. I thanck you all for your suggestions.. these speakers are going out as a present in a totally glued up cab and I wanted it to be the best it can be. My biggest thought towards the future is what density is best and should I add some polyfill also?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.