Maggie and Alpairs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've become intrigued by the MarkAudio drivers. and would like to
use them in a console Im planning.
Im a furniture maker by trade.
I plan to use an updated Maggie 9303 EL84 amp in a small console for my dining room and had seen a plan for an enclosure ,dual port and dual chp7 drivers.
The box would work well into the piece im planning.
Source would be (god forbid) streaming audio.
The room is about 12x12, so listening would be moderate,and mostly easy listening.
I cannot design the enclosure or a crossover,so I must depend on tried and true.plans.
My options are
1) The Alpair 7 BR box
2)The CHR70 till-2 70
3)The above using CHP70 drivers
4?
Id appreciate any help and will be happy to post the project.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
You can also consider the Alpair 12P in compact BR boxes:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/217555-alpair12p-gen2-standmount-speakers.html

Among the drivers you have listed Alpair 7.3 would have best sound quality.
Ì dont know a lot of people who really compared bothe teh a7 and a12.
Monte Verdi did, and he thinks that the A12 is better or at least, as good as the a7. He actually prefer the a12 for its body in the mid that was lacking in the A7.
, no definite answer it seems

Ì dont know a lot of people who really compared bothe teh a7 and a12.
Monte Verdi did, and he thinks that the A12 is better or at least, as good as the a7. He actually prefer the a12 for its body in the mid that was lacking in the A7.
, no definite answer it seems

for folks constrained by required enclosure dimensions, the 7.3 has a lot going for it - things are never quite as simple as which is "better"?

The 12 will be an entirely different projece.
Sorry for the confusion.
The present project will use the smaller drivers.
Even the 10s will be too large.
So im only trying to get an idea of the 7 range of drivers for
this piece.

Not to contradict my post in reply to Murphy above, the 7.3 is a higher performance driver than the CHR70, period. If budget permits, the 7.3 (less extra bezel ring) can be accommodated in fairly small vented enclosures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.