The Supernova! (a full range flooder line source)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Melotheory,
Did you consider a dipole full range line array, on a really thin 4" OB, with about 20 of your 3" FR drivers on one side, equalised flat to 80-100Hz and high passed 80-100Hz, with separate monopole/dipole active bass unit. It could offer all the polar benefits of a dipole, no box as opposed to omni, but likely greater image depth than the omni :eek:

Hey Joy....
To me, line sources are about dynamics and front row concert presentation.
I actually had these drivers in a focused dipole array. It's the "Event Horizon" thread.
The only way I would do a 4" wide dipole would be in a 7' tall focussed array. And I may do that some day.
I just want to finish this one as an omni, then I'll move on to the next obsession :D

It's the "Event Horizon" thread.
The only way I would do a 4" wide dipole would be in a 7' tall focussed array. And I may do that some day.
I just want to finish this one as an omni, then I'll move on to the next obsession :D

You sure are a lucky man to pursue your hobby unbound !! :D
Is the ambio processor good for both monopoles and dipoles in combining stereo signals.

You sure are a lucky man to pursue your hobby unbound !! :D
Is the ambio processor good for both monopoles and dipoles in combining stereo signals.

Well, it definitely works great with dipoles and with any type in the near field.
You just need to be careful of reflections in the far field. I'm still investigating. On this flooder, it doesn't really help or hurt it. It sounds like you are in well either way :eek:
But, I tell ya......its far superior to stereo when set up correctly.

Oh, when I close my eyes....it takes me away to a different place.
Not the place of the recorded event mind you, more like a place with a gentle stream and distant eco's......and the wafting scent of fecal matter.
Yup, a sewer pipe. Hahaha!

I haven't listened to it since the day after completion. And there it stands, like a monolith of bad decisions. Haha!

Oh, when I close my eyes....it takes me away to a different place.
Not the place of the recorded event mind you, more like a place with a gentle stream and distant eco's......and the wafting scent of fecal matter.
Yup, a sewer pipe. Hahaha!

I haven't listened to it since the day after completion. And there it stands, like a monolith of bad decisions. Haha!

ouch! bad luck! :)

did You use it so to speak straight or have You tried available filter approaches like Ambio algorythms or Elias' SSS passive approach?

Haha......thanx adason!
I knew it was doomed from the start.
I build so much wacky stuff, sometimes I don't even care if it works or not. I'm not emotionally invested in the far out ideas that I have. I'm just experimenting.
I have a few more cracked out ideas for these vifa's.
You will see many more LSD inspired designs from this audionaught!
:p

ouch! bad luck! :)

did You use it so to speak straight or have You tried available filter approaches like Ambio algorythms or Elias' SSS passive approach?

Oh yeah...of course I used the miniambio on this. No matrixed stuff though.
I think a factor of my disappointment is that I just don't care for line sources.
Coupled with the fact that it's a flooder.....well, it images like a Monet painting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.