The Supernova! (a full range flooder line source)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yea, but then you'd need more drivers.....

It would be like mini ambio without the extreme panning.

It may not work, who knows.

:hohoho:

Norman

I'm sure it won't work. Although I was suprised on how much sound was coming from the sides. But it was only high frequencies so it sounded disjointed. A plus was that I was able to cut off RACE at around 1-2kHz :)
If I went with the matrixed center, that wouldn't help to push mid frequencies to the sides. I would still have to apply RACE and I'm not sure of the effect of that on a mono center....it may not hurt it. But the center still would not do much for the delay of HF coming from the sides.
Also, with the omni design.....it would alleviate CTC CF

a side firing L and R flooder with C for direct cues, adjustable in volume and delay, in a single box would be an interesting concept. I.e. I like the idea better than Elias' single box stereo speaker. Of course that project may have changed.

Well I guess the difference would be the adjustable delay? Oh and this one has the side drivers at 45 degrees.
I'm sure Elias flooder is good. I think the problem with this is that it's a line source and it's nearly equally as loud coming off the wall because of the cylindrical wave front, add comb filtering to that and the fact that line sources swamp the room, and you have yourself a perfectly constructed sewer pipe!
:D

Look at the size of this bugger!
I have a new name for it. The "Ambiolith"
We have a monolith....we have a stereolith, we now have the...
AMBIOLITH...LITH...LITH...LITH
haha!

20121210_183945.jpg

Looks like you've done an overly wide and tall stereolith without the tweeter :D

You should have put a third line in the center and used the matrix ;)

- Elias

Yeah. I wanted to test the flooder theory first, to see if I would get good separation. I did, but only in the FR of about 3kHz and up, and to tell you the truth my heart was in an omni design in the first place because I knew there would be a mismatch between RACE and the reflected signal.
I will try the matrix theory with larger full ranger point source drivers. Maybe I will just clone yours and see how it sounds.

If I went with the matrixed center, that wouldn't help to push mid frequencies to the sides.

Wrong, because perceptually the mid freqs are coming from the side if you'll use the matrix x=0.5.

This is one of the scenarios where traditional precedence effect breaks down.

See this simulation. Here the stereo signal is fully panned to the left side. Note the direct sound is much weaker than the sound reflected from the left wall. Reflection overrules the leaked direct sound, and stereo is enabled.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Elias Pekonen Home Page - FDTD simulations on Single Speaker Stereo SSS

- Elias

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.