Best Full Range for 1.64 Liter Small Cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like Parts Express are only selling the low end BMR drivers, they are good for TV, portable radio and the like but not good for Hi Fi or Home Cinema.
Also the 4.5 inch BMR 's still need to used in groups, mini line array of 4 or drivers per channel, even better 12 to 18 drivers per channel.
Cheers
Derek.

Hi Derek, So the 1" difference is a big deal? Or is the neo vs. ferrite magnet? The 4.5" are not available anywhere so the issue is moot I guess. Have you heard the 3.5" HiWave they are currently offering? :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyone listened to the Fostex FF105WK?

Just starting myself. At least a couple other guys have em running too.

blue-vampyr-V-comp.jpg

dave

Size of BMR's

I have heard the small Hi Wave BMR's that are in the $10 to $30 range, they are sold on line in the UK as well as the USA, to be honest I dont like them at all.
The 4.5 inch Neo is a gem of a driver, very different sound to the small ones or tghe 4.5 inch ferrite BMR.
Shame you cant get them in the USA, maybe one day someone will import them.
Cheers
Derek.

update on BMR line array ( copied post)

Happy new year ( 's Eve!)

I am getting great results with line array's using 8, 12, or 16 drivers per channel using the 4.5 inch BMR.
Here are a few important points that took me a while to fully appreciate:

(1) DSP / Eq is a must. There is no way passive Eq / crossovers / notches etc can do it without hideous complexity, cost, size, and loss of efficiency.

As a minimum try the Eq in JRiver media (or similar VST host), or even better Blue Cat Audio or similar studio grade plugins, Blue Cat do great free plugins to start you off. Reaper, Fab Filter etc are all great to.

(2) For full range music with av / peak SPL's at around 85dB to 105dB, size matters...The Sd of the 4.5 inch is 60cm square, a typical 12 inch driver has an Sd of around 550 cm square...Eight 4.5 inch BMR's = 480 cm square, 12 BMR's = 720 and 16 BMR,s = 960 cm square.

(3) All my designs are "on wall" and use curved cabinets which curve back to meet the wall, this almost eliminates the baffle step issue. Plus it gives you "free" low and low / mid frequency boost. I have measured solid bass ( +- 4dB) down to the high 30Hz low 40Hz depending on Eq and number of drivers. It sounds even deeper than it mearures...!

(4) Comb Filtering is a non issue. Yes you read that right! In real rooms ( not anechoic chambers ) and on wall location, the 4.5 inch BMR line arrays simply flood the entire space with seamless low distortion music. They are dynamic, detailed and so supple & liquid its delightful and astonishing in equal measure.

(5) The smaller BMR's just do not have the ability ( Sd and power handling) to generate the SPL's and dynamics. You have to push them so hard they sound ragged and stressed.
Also the big ferrite magnets really obstruct the back wave and muddy the midrange. The Neo magnet versions are way better in this respect, so pure and natural, but they are way more expensive...

Hope the above helps.
All the best
Derek.

8 BMR line array pic

Hi Dynablaster,

Here are a couple of pics of of the 8 driver ( 4.5 inch Neo) BMR array.
In this version I went for a very cool look to maximise WAF!
They are 1.6 meters tall, 200mm wide and 140mm deep. On wall weight 10Kg.
I am building a new set of the 16 driver version (sold the first pair to a buddy at Christmas) which is 1,850mm tall 280mm wide at the back and has a 165mm flat front with curved sides blending into the rear. It's really slim, only 100mm total front to back depth, with the right grill / art work on the front it really will be cool!
It is going to be close to 20Kg weight so needs a good bracket to hang it on the wall.
I hope to have the new pair ready by end of Jan, just waiting on the CNC factory opening up next week.

All the best
Derek.

Attachments

• HTC 23 Feb 2012 258.jpg
    HTC 23 Feb 2012 258.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 327
  • HTC 23 Feb 2012 268.jpg
    HTC 23 Feb 2012 268.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 314
You might like this too...!

Hey Dynablast,

Sorry for the off topic but I just checked out your art page very cool...!

I think you might like some of my older designs, the Predator & Prey ( Sub / Sat combo), The Ovation ( two way) and the 3 way Finale and the Angels ( Acrylic open baffle).
Even the Ovation (pyramid) is quite funky! They were all made between 2004 and 2007. You can see them in various posts on this DIY site and various show reports and reviews on the web, just search Overkill Audio and the speaker names.

This Six Moons review shows some good pics at the start.

6moons audio reviews: Overkill Audio Encore Speaker System

Cheers
D.

Attachments

• Overkill Encore ( low res pic).jpg
    Overkill Encore ( low res pic).jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Overkill Encore pair ( low res pic).jpg
    Overkill Encore pair ( low res pic).jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Overkill Encore two way.jpg
    Overkill Encore two way.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 302
  • Petra with Overkill banner.jpg
    Petra with Overkill banner.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 113
Hi.

Im probably a bit late to this party but:

Sealed box yields a roll off that isnt too great with the 3"ers I have (TB W3-1285SG)

Now the gallery is working again (thx Jason :p) I will post the vented response, if it is of any use to you

EDIT:

Here it is:

The volume 1.64 L is around twice the 'max flat' alignment volume for this driver (so not an optimum for this box) but it has a -3dB point of 100Hz as req'd. Ripple is minimal considering, and certainly less than the higher Qts drivers of this ilk e.g. A5 grey gen1.

vent dia = 25mm, length 46mm, Fb = 110Hz

In its max flat volume, the TB i show has an F-3 of nearly 200hz.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.