Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 12:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Type of BMR

I got mine direct from China a couple of years ago, 300 MOQ, had some left over from a commercial job, they are very similar to the CSS Cotswold Sound Systems Neo 4.5 inch.
If anything the CSS are even better as they did some more R&D into balancing the driver.

Cheers
Derek.
Old 24th November 2012, 02:05 PM   #12
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

All of the drivers you show will need bass reenforcement so I would look at it from a different angle. Which one of those drivers sound the best to you? Go with that one and get a sub or three.
Old 24th November 2012, 07:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all of the input! I do have a nice subwoofer (just one). I'm just wondering if any of these would go low enough in the tiny cylinder cabinets I have to interface with the sub. I don't own all of the drivers mentioned, unfortunately. I'm just going on what others have said about them.

External port might be an option, but it might look a little bit silly.

Sealed Alp 7 with high Q could work, maybe the hump would actually provide a stronger sounding mid and upper bass to interface with the sub. Just a guess!

The other drivers have a slightly flatter response in the sim.

I like the price / supposed mid range magic of the FF85WK but I think with the tiny xmax a FAST system would be required to sound right on that one. (In this thread I'm trying to see what can be done without going in the FAST direction.)

Last edited by Ben_Tech; 24th November 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 24th November 2012, 07:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Audio View Post
You could try the 4.5 inch BMR 's, they are really good, way better than the smaller units.
I only see the HiWave HIBM65C20-8 3-1/2" BMR for sale in the US (PE).

Also, if I went that way, I'd pretty much be on my own in terms of comparing them to Alpairs and Fostex, etc. That means I'd have to buy them all.
Old 24th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
Qtc of 1.05 is a little high, but hardly prohibitive. In practice it may benefit
There are other issues unrelated to Q with trying to stuff A7 into such a small box...

Q bumps up a bit over 1.1 with the driver volume accounted for.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif est-of--vil-A7.gif (30.6 KB, 402 views)
Old 24th November 2012, 08:57 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
I like the price / supposed mid range magic of the FF85WK but I think with the tiny xmax a FAST system would be required to sound right on that one. (In this thread I'm trying to see what can be done without going in the FAST direction.)
The FF85 is very limited at a 100 Hz. I dolove watching people's jaws drop when i play them by themselves in my big room (with carefully selected material).

When the woofTs are hooked up, i don't have to make any excuses (amazing how well those 4" Peerless midbass do, now working on a design with 4 of them).

dave
Old 24th November 2012, 09:19 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here are a couple FF85wk in your cylinder. Some resistance in the vent would damp down the bump in the vented box. Below 200 Hz xMax is being exceeded with 1W. Not a big deal nearfield, you likely won't be playing them lud enuff to impact that significantly.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FF85wk-155L.gif (37.4 KB, 396 views)
Old 24th November 2012, 09:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Here are a couple FF85wk in your cylinder. Some resistance in the vent would damp down the bump in the vented box. Below 200 Hz xMax is being exceeded with 1W. Not a big deal nearfield, you likely won't be playing them lud enuff to impact that significantly.

dave
Hi Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to sim the Fostex in the small cylinder. Estimating xmax issues in theoretical models is beyond my current expertise, so thanks for that. Sounds like they won't work for this application as listening distance will be 8 feet or so.

Will consider if I go for FAST.

I don't suppose you have tried the HiWave HIBM65C20-8 (it's a BMR)? They are only $6.33 at PE. How could they be that good for the price, right? The datasheet shows a midrange dip at resonance though.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:58 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No i haven't. I have heard quite a few DMRs and they leave me a bit skeptical for hifi aps but who knows.

dave
Old 25th November 2012, 09:59 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default No 4.5 inch Neo version in USA

Looks like Parts Express are only selling the low end BMR drivers, they are good for TV, portable radio and the like but not good for Hi Fi or Home Cinema.
Also the 4.5 inch BMR 's still need to used in groups, mini line array of 4 or drivers per channel, even better 12 to 18 drivers per channel.
Cheers
Derek.

Hide this!Advertise here!