Bookshelf enclosures for CHR 3rd gen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone! This my very first post on DIYaudio!

I just ordered a pair of 3rd gen CHR 70 to build a pair of bookshelf speakers I will use as surrounds in my HT. They will actualy be installed in bookshelfs so I need to keep the boxes small (12 to 14 in tall) and no rear or side vents.

I saw many projects with the CHR 70 that could work. I would like to here your comments or suggestions if you have done a similar project.

Thanks!

Hello everyone! This my very first post on DIYaudio!

I just ordered a pair of 3rd gen CHR 70 to build a pair of bookshelf speakers I will use as surrounds in my HT. They will actualy be installed in bookshelfs so I need to keep the boxes small (12 to 14 in tall) and no rear or side vents.

I saw many projects with the CHR 70 that could work. I would like to here your comments or suggestions if you have done a similar project.

Thanks!

well I know that these work quite well and I think fit your requirements

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/mMarS-1v0-map-231009.pdf

these I've not heard - the slim shady version might still fit your space:

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dCHR-Ken-261111.pdf

Dave is loathe to publish "modeled" performance, but I'm sure he could advise which could be expected to deliver more bass ( I suspect the latter of the 2)

For the Gen 3 CHR there is also a vented version of this box for more extended bass.... but for surround use, and with the room gain inherent in them being placed on a shelf (attached to a wall, i assume), sealed might be best anyway.

dave

You assume correctly, the left side will be on a bookshelf attached to a wall and it is not very deep, maybe 6 in. The right side is on shelf in a bookcase that is against a wall.

Do you have idea of the lower end difference between the sealed and vented versions?

By the way, I looked up planet10 and Frugal-phile : nice work! I love how the full size "onken" style speakers look. If it could fit I would build it!:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you have idea of the lower end difference between the sealed and vented versions?

Room gsin makes it difficualt to estimate the exact roll-off. The sealed box will start rolling off earlier but slower, the vented will reach lower before rolling off faster. Bump from the room gain comes close to cancelling at least the 1st part of the sealed roll-off, the vented will likely have a bit of a bump-up before it plummets.

Both should easily get you to the 80 Hz needed for HT surrounds.

dave

Attachments

• CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    23 KB · Views: 190
I love how the full size "onken" style speakers look. If it could fit I would build it!:D

Jeff, welcome to diyAudio! :)

Th P10 Mini-Onken speakers do look smart. They sound good too - the bass is tight and articulate, a pleasure to listen too. And they image very well - the speakers dissapear when listening. After building a pair of CHR-Ken out of curiosity, I was surprised. :)

Thanks for your input everyone! I will probably build a sealed box in the 6-7 L range and see how it sounds.

Up to now, all my projects were built with mdf and/or plywood. For such a small boxe, I am considering solid wood for th front baffle. Maple or birch. Any toughts on that?

Yes, there's not a lot of board feet in these little guys, so while the material cost will be higher per foot than ply or MDF, it still won't be silly, unless you go for exotic embargoed tropical hardwoods.

As long as you're confident in your fabrication skills, why the heck not? Bernie Foucher has made a series of stunningly gorgeous little enclosures from a variety of solid hard and softwoods - Locust, Walnut, Cedar, Fir , and other folks have done the same with Oak etc etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.