First build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torstensson View Post
Thanks guys!

I actually have a bit more budget then the cost for the materials of the FH3 and the FE126eN, is there a element with better specs that would be better or should I just spend the extra to increase the waf-factor?
If you have decided on the FH Mk3, the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 should suit you well.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:17 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Isn't a problem with the low SPL on the Alpair considering my tube amp?
Alpair: 86dB
FE126en: 93dB
Old 26th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #13
jonatan is offline jonatan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I am interested in this as well.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:22 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torstensson View Post
Isn't a problem with the low SPL on the Alpair considering my tube amp?
Alpair: 86dB
FE126en: 93dB

This was certainly my personal concern before first getting involved with the Mark Audio drivers a few years ago now, and without giving more oxygen to the "specs mean every /no thing" debate firestorm, I can say that the audible difference between these 2 drivers has less to do with just the sensitivity than with the wider and smoother response, particularly throughout the midrange, of the Alpair compared to the Fostex.

The Fostex can have dynamic jump factor & in your lap midrange presentation that some folks find enchanting, others, not so much, while the Alpairs are more evenly balanced from bottom to top, very finely textured and detailed.

There are a lot of folks quite happy with the 7.3 and CHR70s driven by low power tube amps (eg Decware Zen, Bottlehead Paramour etc), and on the other hand folks sledgehammering the FE126Es with well over 50W - just to be sure about the headroom.

I'll sound like a broken record on this subject, but there is no single best combination - variables such as room size / listening levels / etc all factor into the calculus of which system will be an acceptable compromise for you & for now - next year could be different again.
Old 27th November 2012, 12:23 AM   #15
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

...just to add my 2 cents: My Alpair7.3 pencils are very meaty with 300B mono blocks 7-8w/ch. They're stunning with a FirstWatt SIT at 10/ch and for soft stuff my 45 tube amp at 2w/ch drives the pencils capably. I do help the pencils with a subwoofer crossed at around 100hz, though they only when driven by the 45s do they really "ask for help".

I also have the foster 126en's in two different cabs, a back loaded horn and a p10 mMar cabinet. I prefer the A7.3 pencils with any of the above mentioned amps over either of the 126 cabs.

Mario
Old 27th November 2012, 03:30 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Since you have spare budget: I think that the previously mentioned A12p plays in a higher league than the 126.
Old 27th November 2012, 04:12 AM   #17
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

My Alpair 10.2's are very nicely paired with an 8wpc el34 amp.
As Chris has mentioned, i too find the better (to me) overall balance of the Alpair's compared to the numerous Fostex's a real plus.
Don
Old 27th November 2012, 07:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody!
I've definitely got wiser but the decision didn't get a lot easier
I've got some woodwork to do before I decide what element to choose.

Could probably try to get some pictures up when I start building, probably won't get much done before x-mas though,

Thanks again!

Hide this!Advertise here!