First build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My first build and post on this forum.

Been reading a lot on this forum but can't som some answers becuase there is just too much information.

I'm looking for a full range speaker with high sensitivity since I'll be using a tube amplifier (2x10W). I listen to all sorts of music and will probably need to place the speakers in a corner.

I've been looking at the Curvy Chang for my first build, is this a good choice with my conditions?

Cant seem to find anywhere to buy the Fostex FE207e elements. Is there a replacement element I can use?
I also haven't been able to find any prints for the Curvy Changs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tortensson,

AFAIK the Fostex FE207E has been discontinued by Fostex. IIRC the plans for the Curvy Chang has gone into the archives as the driver is no longer available.

One of the easier builds with a larger (6.5") and reasonably sensitive (92 dB) FR driver is the Pensil 12P - you can look it up in the forums. The driver for that particular build is the Mark Audio Alpair 12P.

Zia is correct as far as he goes - if you're still interested in a 200mm class Fostex driver the new FF225WK would be closest to a replacement for 207E, with the following caveats:

Like the 207E, most folks would find they need a tweeter, at a minimum probably something like the FT17H, which brings the per enclosure cost of drivers to within a few dollars of the cost of the A12Ps

While all the new WK series I've seen so far use the same basket/frame size tooling as their predecessors (stamping jigs long since amortized to $0 ? :)), none should be considered "direct dop-ins" - their T/S parameters have changed significantly enough that properly designing enclosures for them needs a clean sheet of paper.

Since the OP expressed interest in a Chang family enclosure, it should be said that in the intervening years the designer (Scott L) has evolved quite a few very interesting designs for Fostex , Mark Audio and a variety of other driver brands.

When choosing or recommending any speaker system (driver +enclosure), I always like to consider the room size as well as the other factors you mentioned - if they'll need to be placed in corners does that imply a smallish room? If so, you might well be served with a smaller driver than an 8", with the resulting benefits of smaller enclosures as well as possibly avoiding the need for tweeters. The Fostex candidates would be FE166EN for a BLH type ( Victor) , or FF165WK for something like an MLTL.

The Alpair12P is a helluva nice driver - so far I've heard them in a medium sized stand mounter, as well as Scott's SuperPensil, and I'm sure there has been at least one build of Avebury for them - due to WAF factor, that's one I probably wouldn't really want to hear ;)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

The room is about 4m x 7m.

I don't mind using a tweeter as well, guessing I'll being needing some sort of crossover filter as well then.
As long as have a blue-print for the crossover i wouldn't mind building it.

Since it's a living room I will be needing quite high waf factor.

Torstensson,

Forgot to mention, Welcome to diyAudio!

Attached some pics of the Pensil 12 (made with previous gen metal cone A12) and Pensil 10.2 for your reference - you can test the WAF with these. :)

Attachments

• Lux_pencil12.jpg
    Lux_pencil12.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 289
  • _DSC4704_frame.jpg
    _DSC4704_frame.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 291
  • P1040483.JPG
    P1040483.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 285
  • birch-4.jpg
    birch-4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 286
Thanks!
They sure look nice.

Is there any place a can find a print for Pensil 12 with a complementing tweeter and crossover print?

I'd suggest you might not need a tweeter with the 12P, and almost definitely not with the smaller Alpairs - most notably the 7.3, which would be my first suggestion for a room your size. The 2 enclosure designs for this driver that come immediately to mind for your application would be the Pensil or FH3.

But if you do decide that a tweeter would be required with the 12P, the Pensil enclosure for same is plenty large enough to fit virtually any candidate, and a simple 1st order HP filter the region of 10-12 K would be my initial starting point

Isn't a problem with the low SPL on the Alpair considering my tube amp?
Alpair: 86dB
FE126en: 93dB

This was certainly my personal concern before first getting involved with the Mark Audio drivers a few years ago now, and without giving more oxygen to the "specs mean every /no thing" debate firestorm, I can say that the audible difference between these 2 drivers has less to do with just the sensitivity than with the wider and smoother response, particularly throughout the midrange, of the Alpair compared to the Fostex.

The Fostex can have dynamic jump factor & in your lap midrange presentation that some folks find enchanting, others, not so much, while the Alpairs are more evenly balanced from bottom to top, very finely textured and detailed.

There are a lot of folks quite happy with the 7.3 and CHR70s driven by low power tube amps (eg Decware Zen, Bottlehead Paramour etc), and on the other hand folks sledgehammering the FE126Es with well over 50W - just to be sure about the headroom.

I'll sound like a broken record on this subject, but there is no single best combination - variables such as room size / listening levels / etc all factor into the calculus of which system will be an acceptable compromise for you & for now - next year could be different again.

...just to add my 2 cents: My Alpair7.3 pencils are very meaty with 300B mono blocks 7-8w/ch. They're stunning with a FirstWatt SIT at 10/ch and for soft stuff my 45 tube amp at 2w/ch drives the pencils capably. I do help the pencils with a subwoofer crossed at around 100hz, though they only when driven by the 45s do they really "ask for help".

I also have the foster 126en's in two different cabs, a back loaded horn and a p10 mMar cabinet. I prefer the A7.3 pencils with any of the above mentioned amps over either of the 126 cabs.

Mario

Thanks everybody!
I've definitely got wiser but the decision didn't get a lot easier :)
I've got some woodwork to do before I decide what element to choose.

Could probably try to get some pictures up when I start building, probably won't get much done before x-mas though,

Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.