New plywood at Home Depot???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, any idea on how this product would do sound quality wise? Would it be too soft or dead like MDF? Sounds like BB is still preferred but maybe this ply would be a better choice instead of MDF for us $$$ challenged.

Well, it sure isn't dead. A lotof sound makes it through the sides of a box. The best I can gather is it is primarily eucalyptus, never having had a block of that wood in hand. It's got the same feel as the Arauco ply and a little harder than white pine.

Bob

Well I think for wood Birch is the best to me. Its a more liver sounding wood then (MDF and Used it for years and I don't like it now. I Still think it's trash for the money). The (MDF) at home depot is close to the cost of the Birch plywood. Now as for lowes they stated carrying Maple Ply-wood and I wonder how they will look and sound next to the birch plywood? I built my dads two floor standing towers between 9 to 10 years ago. I used russian birch plywood on the fronts and reg. Birch plywood on all both sides and the back. The speakers are Still going strong and the wood is holding up very well. Jm

Last edited:
Well I think for wood Birch is the best to me. Its a more liver sounding wood then (MDF and Used it for years and I don't like it now. I Still think it's trash for the money). The (MDF) at home depot is close to the cost of the Birch plywood. Now as for lowes they stated carrying Maple Ply-wood and I wonder how they will look and sound next to the birch plywood? I built my dads two floor standing towers between 9 to 10 years ago. I used russian birch plywood on the fronts and reg. Birch plywood on all both sides and the back. The speakers are Still going strong and the wood is holding up very well. Jm

You are aware that the core of birch plywood, oak and probably the maple at HD are pine core, aren't you? Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying. Also, there is the issue of ply count in the core. Cabinet grade plywood is 5 core plies for a 3/4" panel. Arauco, it still available is 9 and TigerPly is 11. Real Baltic birch is 13. (All of these are 18mm.) To me, the advantage of more plies is that the inevitable voids will have less effect on the panel strength and the possibility of audible vibrations.

Yes, a BB cabinet is lively. So is most any plywood. Try this: Put a pair of speakers face-to-face. Hook them up out of phase. Turn the amp up to a normal listening level. What you are now hearing is the sound that is passing through the walls of the cabinets.

Bob

Murphy ply is 15.

OK, but the same comment applies here as to BB. If you can't afford a pallet load, this is interesting but irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Typically the more plies, the stronger and better damped (more glue layers).

I am becoming less convinced of this. I have been playing with some
FR plots of what is coming out of the sides of a box. I am having difficulty "calibrating" my mic/stethoscope, so I won't post anything, but it appears that the box panels are acting as bandpass filters with attenuation. Any panel resonance appears to be in the noise level. So, going from BB to MDF you get a narrower pass band and more attenuation. To get any significant attenuation requires either a surface application or a constrained layer.

This is why BB boxes are reported as "lively" and MDF as "dead"

Bob

You are aware that the core of birch plywood, oak and probably the maple at HD are pine core, aren't you? Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying. Also, there is the issue of ply count in the core. Cabinet grade plywood is 5 core plies for a 3/4" panel. Arauco, it still available is 9 and TigerPly is 11. Real Baltic birch is 13. (All of these are 18mm.) To me, the advantage of more plies is that the inevitable voids will have less effect on the panel strength and the possibility of audible vibrations.

Yes, a BB cabinet is lively. So is most any plywood. Try this: Put a pair of speakers face-to-face. Hook them up out of phase. Turn the amp up to a normal listening level. What you are now hearing is the sound that is passing through the walls of the cabinets.

Bob

Yes I understand what your say but, I can only afford what I can afford. If I went to wood craft it is almost double the price for two little sheets of birch plywood. As for the price I can get 2 sheets of 4 by 8 birch plywood from home depot. So if there is a better place I can go to buy a better plywood and a better grade please point me in the right path I am game. I am in canton michigan. Jm

Yes I understand what your say but, I can only afford what I can afford. If I went to wood craft it is almost double the price for two little sheets of birch plywood. As for the price I can get 2 sheets of 4 by 8 birch plywood from home depot. So if there is a better place I can go to buy a better plywood and a better grade please point me in the right path I am game. I am in canton michigan. Jm

try some of the names on this list?

Wood Paneling Supplies Canton MI - Canton MI, Wood Paneling Supplies, Canton MI wood paneling, Canton MI ceiling paneling, Canton MI wall paneling, Canton MI exterior wood paneling

Often the high end residential kitchen or commercial millwork shops will have access to wider range of materials than big box or retail shops( Home Depot / Lowes etc) find demand to carry in stock. Would you look for organic grass feed beef or Alaskan wild salmon at Applebees?

Good lord man, you live in a major metropolitan area. Surely you can find something.

Bob

try some of the names on this list?

Wood Paneling Supplies Canton MI - Canton MI, Wood Paneling Supplies, Canton MI wood paneling, Canton MI ceiling paneling, Canton MI wall paneling, Canton MI exterior wood paneling

Often the high end residential kitchen or commercial millwork shops will have access to wider range of materials than big box or retail shops( Home Depot / Lowes etc) find demand to carry in stock. Would you look for organic grass feed beef or Alaskan wild salmon at Applebees?

Thank you for the link. Also no I wouldn't look for Organic grass feed beef at applebees I know better but, good point. Jm

Good lord man, you live in a major metropolitan area. Surely you can find something.

Bob

Well finding something is right? My wood shop /mill guy / cabinet guy I was going thru left state. So for me its been hard. I have called a lot of places and alot of wood mills have gone away :(. Also the very few left want me to buy in brick loads of wood and not per. sheet of wood. Thanks jm

NS,

There are two good options for sheet goods in Metro Detroit. Drayton Plywood - Home & Contact Us in Drayton (near Waterford) carries a good selection of hardwood plywoods including prefinished maple in 1/2" & 3/4" thickness and the prices are reasonable. The owner is very good and I always take a cutlist to have each sheet split where I need to make it easier to get into my basement workshop - no charge for the 1st cut! Public Lumber Your Hardwood Moulding, Plywood and Lumber Source-Public Lumber Company - Public Lumber Co. in Detroit (7 Mile near I-75) tends to have more selection in exotics but you need to call before you go there to confirm they have what you want. It's in a pretty rough section of town and I always take my friend Kimber along for company. They will also do 1 cut per sheet at no extra charge and they carry a pretty nice stock of hardwoods also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.