possibly the most bass from a 2 x 5 inch television speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can honestly hear the bass from clear across the room when the speaker is in free air (just lying facing sideways)
it's pretty clear too running off of a 400 watt amplifier
and the speaker is 16 ohms and 5 watts
I put it up to the port on my subwoofer box for the 12 inch subwoofer
and the bass is insane it pretty moves the 12 inch woofer (a little bit) like a massive passive radiator!
the bass is enough to say wow for such a small speaker!

I haven't blown the speaker yet and it still sounds good loud and clear with a lot of nice bass too even free air it still sounds good
it's just a speaker I pulled out of a old junk TV
it moves a good half an inch at full volume! it's REALLY cool to see such a small speaker do so much work! lol but the magnet on the back gets slightly warm after a while but it never gets hot and it doesn't even have a smell after playing for a few minutes o:
I tried an 8ohm 6 watt speaker and it blew the second I turned the volume up o_O lol what a rip-off

but the other little speaker just keeps pounding away!

has anyone ever encountered a decent speaker like this before?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Years ago I had a pair of small (I'm guessing 3") speakers in fully sealed enclosures of the kind that go on rear car parcel shelves. Just little boxes really. And I hooked these up to my Pioneer A80 amp of the time (150 W/rms) and was gobsmacked at the volume, the quality, and the bass available. If you turned the bass up on the amp and adjusted the treble and closed your eyes you would have no idea you were listening to something so tiny.

realflow... if you can get hold of a big piece of cardboard (not a box just a flat piece) then try cutting a hole in it just a bit smaller than the speaker and hold it up against that. More bass :)

Yeah I cut a large cardboard box a flat piece out
and cut a hole out to fit my speaker in the middle and taped the speaker into it
and then I duct taped the flat cardboard piece along with the speaker over the large hole where my 12 inch subwoofer goes in the big box

it really really sounds good! if I closed my eyes I would think it's at least a 4 or 5 inch speaker! it sounds good for a 2 x 5 (technically the cone surface is much smaller even than that)
and it really does sound good honestly :)
along with a horn tweeter and a super tweeter (well it works like one.. it's a high frequency alarm from a smoke detector alarm and it's really sharp and clear hooked up along with the speaker and the horn tweeter)

the sound honestly is pretty amazing :D it thumps my chair i can feel the vibrations in my chair lol

Hi,

I wouldn't mind if the thread actually asked how to get half
decent unusual bass out of a 2x5" TV speaker on the cheap :

Answer probably an expanding TL knocked up out out
of corrugated cardboard and varnished to stiffen it.
Tuned to about half the estimated driver Fs.

Discussing bass from an open air 2x5" is an oxymoron.

rgds, sreten.

did y'all read my earlier post?
I already have it in a flat cardboard piece with hole cutout in the middle with the speaker taped into it
and duct taped the cardboard piece along with the speaker over the big hole in my 12 inch subwoofer box where the 12 inch woofer goes
it sounds pretty good
i almost like it better than the 12 inch sub..
nearly perfect amount of bass :)
and the the voices of songs are much more audible too

Whatever floats your boat :)
But I've seen enough to doubt that you have magical speakers. You're probably hearing distortion and seeing the cone flap and interpreting it as as "bass". Hi-fi is learning and I think you're at a good start, but I can safely say that you have a long way to go. But that applies to us all.

I know what distortion sounds like trust me. even a tiny tinch of distortion throws off my hearing
I'm certain It's putting out clean sound with no distortion whatsoever
and the tiny speaker cone moves almost half an inch (I'm not trying to blow the speaker so the gain is barely up at all and i have bass boost off most of the time)
but it really does sound good... if it doesn't sound good that's your opinion
i think it sounds perfectly clear in reality
and it's pretty decent sounding too (i know it's not amazing but it sounds fairly good)
I have no such magical speaker lol just a old speaker from a junk tv

Looks exactly like the speakers I pulled from an old Sony CRT. They had an fs of around 200Hz and a very high qts too, certainly no real bass ever came out of them. Free air and bass = oxymoron due to the rear and front waves having nothing there to stop them from interacting, so you get destructive interference. It doesn't matter how uber the driver is, you cannot change the laws of physics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.