Fostex FE 126 En - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 02:41 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddar View Post
I wouldn’t waste my time on 4” drivers and beside you have Fe166en so what would be the point.

And only cheap Fostex drivers if you are starting with low power tube amps.

I will say this I would have agreed with you a few years back about wasting my time on 4" inch fullrange drivers. Now today I go for the smaller drivers and leave the bigger drivers alone due to less top ensand more beaming. I had to buy and try to hear it for my self. I did't understand why people liked the 4.5 inch fullrange drivers intill I took the plunge. I am not trying to discard your point of view I just wanted to share my thoughts on my own journey of learning. Jm
Old 19th November 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, let's not beat up on Haddar too much, but when the OP specifically asks about a particular driver model, enclosure design, or combination thereof, it behooves us to address that without second-guessing his reasons, or insulting his choice.

And to add one more voice to the chorus, for a lot of folks who've had experience with a wide range of makes, types and sizes of drivers, there's much that the 3-4" units do remarkably well, particularly when supported by woofers as needed. None of us would be as arrogant to say that our personal choice or favorite would suit all users and applications - "my precious - one ranger for all"
Old 19th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Good summary rjb.

dave
Old 19th November 2012, 06:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have to say, I am absolutely loving the FE103En these days. It's the sweet-spot I've been searching for. Now what do I do with these humungous FE138-ESR's...
Old 19th November 2012, 07:11 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Now what do I do with these humungous FE138-ESR's...
A disappointment those

We mounted them in FH3. They make tremendous (if expensive) bass drivers. Use them to add bottom end to the FE103. We did 1st order PLLXO @100 because that was handy. I'd probably move that up a bit if actually doing a design.

dave
Old 19th November 2012, 07:41 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thank you, I may try that. I still have some noodling to see if computer-based EQ can make them sing. There's definite potential hiding in there, for the right application, but I haven't had the time to go after it.
Old 19th November 2012, 07:58 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The only cure would be mechanical. And something that i'd get Bud to try to fix. And if a cure could be found, a lot of happy FE138 owners.

This driver raises the ante on the Fostex shout to a screech.

dave
Old 19th November 2012, 08:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, interesting -- may I ask for your thoughts on the solution being mechanical? I thought the issue was a narrow ~5k resonance and its harmonics (because Serenechaos seemed to solve it with a passive notch, but wasn't satisfied for other reasons and crossed to a ribbon).

Serenechaos' friend J. Jackson suggested piercing the magnesium cap, but it's a gamble. I'd be among those happy owners if something could be found -- thank you in advance for any insight.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:21 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Notch filters are always a band-aid. The problem areas seemed to meto be a lot more wide spread than a single resonance, and problems start much lower in frequency than 5k.

One could start with treatment of the dustcap, that is an obvious candidate. A tap test would quickly confirm whether the FFxx5wk pattern could be adapted,

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 19th November 2012, 08:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wow, that first picture looks like something out of science fiction. May I ask what I would listen for in the tap test?

Hide this!Advertise here!