Whats a aperiodically-coupled bass-reflex box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 12:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Whats a aperiodically-coupled bass-reflex box?

Good Evening everyone .

What is a aperiodically-coupled bass-reflex box? I was told it is a older design that dynaudio and kef used I think in the 70's. I tryed to google it but, I really didn't find anything or info in the web. Is there a box program that you can get that models this type of box? A friend of mine said it is a made up word and box design and there is no box modeling program that can make this type of box. So again any info in this type of box and why I have not seen or heard anyone talk about this type of box desgn or use it would be a big help. Thanks jm
Old 16th November 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

An aperiodic box has a resistive vent. That could be a sealed box with a leak introduced, or a vented enclosure where the vent is stuffed (or has other resistance).
Old 16th November 2012, 12:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes I a friend of mine told me that some thing but, is there a picture or better insight why no one is using it these days and why?
Old 16th November 2012, 01:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Try googling "variovent" for one example, or simply "aperiodic vent". Resistance is built into many vents, e.g., high aspect ratio slot vents. Stuffing a vent is a popular tweak. It's never really gone out of style
Old 16th November 2012, 02:41 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
is there a picture or better insight why no one is using it these days and why?
You won't find a modeler that models these.

An aperiodic box can ve seen as a reflec with a resistor in the vent. Depending on the size of the R the box will range from BR (0) to sealed (infinity).

As to being used, i use these techniques all the time.

dave
Old 16th November 2012, 03:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, I remember a number of variovent equipped Dynaudio designs in old Elektor magazines.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:38 PM   #7
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

WinISD will "model" an aperiodic box if you lower the Ql parameter of a sealed design. Of course it's then hard to equate this to a real-life resistive vent unless you've done it a bunch of times and have a feel for it, so you still need to measure your impedance curve to get Fc and Qtc to know how close you are and adjust things. The range of useful Ql is usually between 1 and 2. Above this it won't do much and below it's getting a bit extreme.

I see two possible uses for doing this: being forced to put a driver in too small a box or preparing a driver in an OK size box to be driven by a high impedance.

High aspect reflex vents with a lot of wall surface area probably work differently from the above though.

IG
Old 17th November 2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is it(?): North Creek Music's new MAPD driver loading
On second read of the original post, This isn't it. It instantly popped into my head when I read the thread title and I was compelled to post it.

Last edited by Illusus; 17th November 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusus View Post
This is it(?): North Creek Music's new MAPD driver loading
On second read of the original post, This isn't it. It instantly popped into my head when I read the thread title and I was compelled to post it.

No thats not it but, thanks for the thought? jm
Old 17th November 2012, 02:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You won't find a modeler that models these.

An aperiodic box can ve seen as a reflec with a resistor in the vent. Depending on the size of the R the box will range from BR (0) to sealed (infinity).

As to being used, i use these techniques all the time.

dave

Okay then how can I make this kinda box for the fostex fe126en drivers just wondering? jm

Hide this!Advertise here!