Help me with a small FR pod, please? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2012, 07:04 AM   #1
AnyCal is offline AnyCal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help me with a small FR pod, please?

Hi, I have been reading, searching, and learning for far too many hours, but still have a ways to go. I "had" a Monster ClarityHD, and it was a slick little unit, but I knew I could build something better, (though now I am beginning to wonder...).

I would like to build a small FR or 2 way speaker pod for use with a phone or tablet, using an 1/8" jack for input. Ideally, it would use a small Sure 2x8 amp with an AC-DC power supply for now. It would need to be good for lower level listening, maybe 50-60db, and it would be nice if it could hit 90db cleanly, though that isn't critical. It would be used at work for listening to music, or at home for the same. It could also be mono, if it helps or changes anything. My biggest concern is size, I would like the enclosure to be 300ci or so, and I would like the unit to sound better than some bookshelf speakers hooked to a Lepai amp, which would be the easiest route, though not the most suitable or interesting. I am thinking a single 3 1/2" driver (vifa tc9-fd-18_08)in a ported box, but am not sure where I should tune the box to, or if I am even looking at the right driver(s)...

Is this possible? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I have some electrical and carpentry skills, but have never attempted building a speaker properly. I saw the classixII kits, and Overnight sensations, but they are larger than I am looking for. Any thoughts or help? I don't have to have hi-fi, but would like the speaker to be worth the effort.

-Edit- Something like one of these driven by a mono amp? http://attlid.eu/p_swift.html

Last edited by AnyCal; 15th November 2012 at 07:28 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!